Register

Mascarpone help pls.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Mascarpone help pls.

Postby jeral » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:36 am

Stokey Sue, thanks for early reply. Very helpful, ta. :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:06 pm

I´d quite happily eat mascarpone straight from the pot, Jeral.
Anyway; apart from the millions of recipes for sweet dishes ( and if I had to choose, they´de be tiramisù, pumpkin & mascarpone cheesecake, and honey cake), you can also use the stuff for savoury dishes.
It goes especially well with figs - fresh or dried, so salad days are here.
You could make a risotto; either with spinach or asparagus.
Pasta with carrots, courgettes and mascarpone. Yum.
Or even a version of Pasta Primavera, using mascarpone instead of cream.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:03 pm

I'm with you there KK !

I am probably mistaken but I thought, like Member 461, you were unable to eat dairy products Jeral?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks karadekoolaid. I was wondering if it might be be good as a white sauce made with no butter.

Joanbunting, it's milk proteins that I can't stomach/digest at all, whether in, like butter, or put in anything, like even the miniscule amount in packet soups. I can drink sterilised milk and UHT milk (I gather the high temp denatures the protein clusters) and a small bit of some cheeses but definitely not others. It's 50/50, or Schrodinger's cat, until I try some. The worst that that happen is that I'll still enjoy virtually eating the lovely cakes and puds on here :)

Postby jeral » Sun May 05, 2019 6:19 pm

Well, good news! Seemingly I can eat mascarpone 8-) (*). Cheesecakes etc here I come! Probably better not tempt providence too much yet though...

I've been putting it off and off, but took the plunge late yesterday and made a smoked salmon and spinach in puff pastry en croute style thingy. I added a good teaspoonful of mascarpone to the spinach with some whisked egg white (so it would set and not run out). Very nice and no ill effects last night or this morning. So ate another small piece for lunch today and still no ill effects.

This probably makes for boring reading, but I would note that the en croute (bought) puff pastry took at least twice as long as expected, in case anyone's planning timings ahead. No wonder beef en croute is deemed iffy in competitive cooking shows.
---

(*) If anyone's thinking I must have grown out of the allergy thing, Nope, as I bought some Terry's chocolate orange minis last week on a whim and eating even two tiny pieces was for me a very big mistake.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox