Register

Book Club

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Book Club

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:03 pm

a kindle is one type of e-reader - if you have one i can send in mobi, the format that kindle used or you can download a program called 'calibre' - a free and very good program that converts from one format to another (and to pdf). iPad uses epub and other e-readers use a mix of other formats. pm me your email if you want them.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:39 pm

That’s very kind of you but I don’t think I’d get my head round it. I can’t manage the Gutenberg thing either. And to be fair I have a long waiting list of Kindle books to keep me busy but thanks for the offer.

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:13 pm

you do realise that you can have documents etc sent straight to your kindle using your kindle email address (from others, not just amazon)?
or load them straight from your computer using the charging cable - it acts a bit like an external hard drive.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 am

I didn’t realise, no. I’ll have to have a tutorial from younger son before he moves out. Thanks Scully.

Has anyone read The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman? It’s terrific.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:37 pm

I haven’t read Thursday Club but definitely on my possibles list, good to have a personal recommendation

Postby Busybee » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Has anyone read The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman? It’s terrific.

Yes, I liked it. Just loved the premise, set in a retirement complex, I couldn’t help but be reminded of dear FCQ.

BB

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:25 pm

DDD5BC43-C6F1-4172-A6F7-08B60A056B96.jpeg
DDD5BC43-C6F1-4172-A6F7-08B60A056B96.jpeg (103.92 KiB) Viewed 5927 times

I treated myself to this recently...recipes and book suggestions broken down by seasons.

The blurb at the top is blurry but it reads ‘Recipes you long to cook, suggestions for books you want to read, a sense of place and season, and tales of a life lived thoughtfully and well. This is a very special book, written well with great generosity’. Diana Henry.

Such a lovely book if anyone needs present ideas for others or just for yourself!

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:43 pm

that looks quite a nice read.

i have just finished a book by rose tremaine called 'trespass'. it has mixed reviews on amazon with some calling it thrilling and quite a few five stars. i am more in agreement with someone called 'snow' who gave it three stars and only those because it was well written, not for the story. i couldn't find anyone in the book that i'd like to spend an hour with, either.
it's interesting that the reviews on 'goodreads' are so mixed, too. maybe some of us are missing something.

Postby mistakened » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:14 pm

I have to rely on Kindle for my books, I always check the reviews and take note of the ones saying "don't waste your time". It is interesting how the opinions of USA reviewers can differ from the UK ones.
Thanks for the Richard Osman recommendations, I will check it out

Postby scullion » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:28 pm

finished my first val mcdermid (a grave tattoo) the other night.
a reasonable yarn, set in the lake district, but i did realise who the baddie was well before the middle of the book and before they'd got into the swing of their 'baddie-ness'.
it had three stories going on at the same time - two were tied but the other could be removed if a film was being made of the book. i don't know if this says something about the book...

i'll have a go with another one before putting them both back in the book swap box in the village shop.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:14 pm

That's 2006, which is probably about where I stopped reading Val McDermid = I overdosed in South Africa in 2007

https://www.valmcdermid.com/books/all-books/

Her best known (and possibly best) books are the Wire in The Blood and The Mermaids are Singing, but both are from the 90s and may well be just at that stage where they are a bit dated but not yet enjoyably retro

Never got on with the the TV series of the Wire in the Blood, I liked Robson Greene as Tony Hill but couldn't see Hermione Norris as Carol Jordan, I like her generally, but just not my feel of the character

Postby scullion » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:53 pm

i haven't seen the tv series - if one of the books comes up in the swap box i might give it a go.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:10 pm

We just finished Robert Harris An Officer and a Spy about the Dreyfus affair for my book group.
It was a terrific read, we all enjoyed it. I hadn't read any Harris before, but will definitely read some more now.

This month it's The Weekend, by Charlotte Wood. Apparently about a group of female friends in their 70s ... we all thought it was not inappropriate although a few of us haven't got there yet ....

Postby scullion » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:39 am

just finished the other val mcdermid book i picked out of the book box - killing the shadows - much better than the last - i didn't guess 'who dun it' and it was quite good at the tension.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:58 pm

I just finished The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. Pleaesed to note it's listed as the first book in hopefully a series on Goodreads.
Just started The Liar's Dictionary by Eley Williams.

Postby scullion » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:37 pm

finished 'this is going to hurt' by adam kay, last night.
a good, but not always comfortable, read.
i hope those working in the nhs get better consideration after all this is over.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:14 pm

I saw Adam Kay do “this is going to hurt” live
Was drained at the end, but I think there are whole chapters in the book not in the stage version

Postby scullion » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:53 pm

thanks to last night's cat induced sleep break-up i finished ruby tandoh's 'eat up'.
it's a book i found a bit confusing. it's a mix of how we should feel about our food, what we eat, food politics, a few recipes and some of it seen through glimpses of her intermittent/underlying eating disorder - which then coloured what i'd already read.
it seemed to say, on one hand, eat whatever you want, when you want, without listening to people telling you what you should be eating and, on the other, scrutinise what you eat in the light of the here and now. i know these aren't conflicting views but they are confused in the way she presents them.
one of the things that i found a little annoying was that there are no/few reference attributions in the text and for nearly half of the book i kept asking myself where her information was coming from or was it supposition. i then looked for the bibliography section - which was quite extensive.
if i was using a food analogy to describe the book i would say that it was thick gravy. it covered the meal without seeping into the depths of the different components.
it's the sort of book that can put you back to sleep again after being woken by a cat..

Postby Amyw » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm

This reminds me of a friend of mine. She's very opinionated, normally a little bit controversial but when you actually question her on her opinions, she can't really back them up or justify them ....she just likes having strong opinions

Postby scullion » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:07 pm

finally got round to reading 'love in the time of cholera'. i found it a strange read - a bit like a bead necklace. the main character being the thread with the beads of his dalliances held between the clasp ends of his main obsession.
i still can't work out if i really enjoyed it. i'm glad it's off the pile.

i've started a thin rosamunde pilcher that, a chapter or so in, i had to look at the spine to check that i wasn't breaking my vow to never read a mills and boon.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff