Register

Book Club

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Book Club

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:If you don’t like the brightness of a screen for reading, most ebook readers can be set to reverse colour, white print on black background which causes much less glare and dazzle, and then with Kindle you can choose font size, font style and adjust the brightness. Actually Kindle have recently upgraded their accessibility options in the iPad app, and it’s now very good

In fact a couple of people with good eyesight who have seen me reading with those settings have found that they can comfortably read on a phone screen with them, though hard going on white screen

By the heck Sue that's a great tip! With reading glasses my eyesight is pretty decent but I just tried this with the Kindle app on my tablet and it's much easier on the eyes :thumbsup .

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:13 pm

Ellow!

I got a GREAT food related book today. Menus That Made History.
The collection is very eclectic, from the last menu served on the Titanic, to the Last Supper, from what Otzi the iceman ate for his last meal, to what Ted Bundy ate for his (before HE ended up in the Hot Seat.

There are even some recipes.
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:59 am

Glad you like the tip slimpersoninside

That sounds like an interesting mix Grassy

I’m on the 3rd of Dorothy L Sayers Peter Wimsey books. Slightly shocked by the consumption of Chablis with Tripes à la mode de Caen, not sure if Dorothy thinks this is a good idea or she’s gently laughing at the idea

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:18 pm

a bargain for those brasserie Zédel fans - https://www.psbooks.co.uk/Brasserie-Zedel.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:35 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I got a GREAT food related book today. Menus That Made History.

One in that vein that I've got is "A History of Food in 100 Recipes"" by William Sitwell. Very readable.

Chapter 90 is Joan's Masterchef-winning recipe (Quails with Couscous)...

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:24 pm

What interesting foodie books! I think it is the ambiance which makes Brasserie Zedel really special. I wonder if the food, eaten at the kitchen table would seem quite so good (not that I'd turn my nose up at it of course!).

Postby dennispc » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Budleigh Salterton is where Hilary Mantel lives and she organised its Literary Festival. A friend tells me it's free on-line at

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.budlitfe ... gramme.pdf

Postby scullion » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:49 pm

thanks, there are some interesting speakers. i've downloaded the programme.

Previous

Return to Other Stuff