Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:02 pm

You are tempting me to join Twitter! :lol:

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:09 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:...[clip]...
I'd like to see a qualified person write on the whole subject.

The whole subject has many strands, many of which are interwoven. All governments select one or two items rather than aspects in isolation claiming it shows they're "taking action".

Taking just one aspect: Supermarkets have made an effort to make veg cheaper and easier, but would that change if they weren't allowed to make the fantastic profits they do from endless shelves full of confectionery and overpriced ready meals?

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 pm

Stokey Sue, re poll:

I'd say:
1) Cucumber juice probably rehydrates same as any other thing that's primarily water, so the answer is yes but hardly an unqualified yes.
2) Dragon fruit: I'd say prove it, so would answer no until so proven, again a qualified answer.

Tick box questions are often ridiculous in their formulation aren't they?

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:45 pm

Ah - but have you ever seen an old looking dragon.......?!?!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 pm

I think the point is that hydrating specifically the nervous system rather than the body as a whole is ridiculous - and you don't need cucumber juice to do it, which is the claim made. Corporation pop will be fine.

Most of these silly woo claims are bizarrely over specific - a bit like the school girl one of eating jelly cubes to strengthen your nails, because it's a similar protein, but of course protein gets digested and sent wherever it's needed, nails being low down the order

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:43 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Ah - but have you ever seen an old looking dragon.......?!?!

Yes. (A mirror is not one's friend.) If my eyes go yellow and I start breathing fire, I'll know I should have eaten more dragon fruit as then all would have been well. Apparently :D I have a better solution. Just stop cleaning mirrors.

Meanwhile in the land of sensible, some old wives' takes have been proved to have a foundation in truth. Overpriced snake oil is actually very good for bank accounts, just not those of the buyers of it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:13 pm

jeral wrote:The whole subject has many strands, many of which are interwoven. All governments select one or two items rather than aspects in isolation claiming it shows they're "taking action".

Quite so, but how refreshing and far-sighted it would be to understand what it would take to set up a holistic system which took in all the basic aspects of well-being and focused on preventative medicine as well as care. It would take years before benefits were really seen of course, but is it really impossible? Some countries seem to have managed to get much further along the line with it. It seems that funding can always be found for things the elected want but not the electorate.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:21 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:39 am

I used not to like Jay Rayner much but I like him more and more these days.

Postby smitch » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:44 pm

Interesting article on cheese from Ruby Tandoh that I saw on Twitter https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/how-a-cheese-goes-extinct

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:20 pm

How very interesting. Thanks Smitch.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Ruby Tandoh writes extremely well; I love her articles. They begin provocatively; they develop efortlessly and they finish with a flourish. This young lady has tremendous talent.
Unfortunately, cheeses, like everything else in this world, come and go. It is evolution by natural selection, no matter how good the product might be.
I was in Islay 20 years ago and bought (one of the last chunks of) Dunlop cheese. Delicious, but really delicious. It disappeared after that. Here in Venezuela there was a couple who made goat`s cheese in a tiny hamlet called Turgua. They made soft goat`s cheese, Brie-style cheese, logs, and an absolutely spectacular pyramid, which they called "Tepuy", after the ancient mountains in the Amazon state. It was a soft, creamy, unctuous cheese and I have never tasted a cheese (no, not even French cheeses) like it.
The husband died and the wife went into isolation. No more Tepuy.
I also lament the passing of Whitbread`s Triple XXX bitter. Straight from the keg. It died when Whitbread`s became one of the " Big Five" in the seventies.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 am

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 am

Nicely balanced article. He's one of those people that I can't quite dislike and has at least tried quite hard to highlight some social issues and give people a chance.

I know I'm not alone in being disappointed that he allowed Hello magazine to publicise his new family home worth something like £5m at the same time as he was putting a lot of people out of work with restaurant closures. Rather poor judgement.

Postby mistakened » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:now I'm not alone in being disappointed that he allowed Hello magazine to publicise his new family home
I suspect that he may have been paid for that interview, one can only hope that any money received was put into a rescue fund.

Incidentally did anyone read the Mark Hix interview in the Telegraph last week? He has closed all his restaurants too and now has a food truck, he says he is now a fishmonger selling from a food truck in a garden centre carpark off the A35
Last edited by mistakened on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:42 pm

Yes, I read that. He was in trouble well before lockdown I think.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:37 pm

I'm sure JO was paid handsomely for the interview, that is what rubs salt into the wound. If his fee had been going somewhere worthy it would have been a good idea to mention it.

Mark Hix - gosh! At least he's being innovative.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:57 am

Yes, I read about Mark Hix this morning in the Telegraph. Poor guy lost everything and is now doing a Food truck.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:50 am

This book may be of interest. Food myths busted.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... ths-busted

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox