Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Even “Hass” vary - the Peruvian ones in my experience are nicer than the Israeli ones the Eat Me brand seems to do a sort of follow the sun sourcing, selling Hass from different locations as the seasons change, and I don’t think they are all the same

My green grocer also currently stocks a slimmer, more pear shaped, avocado with thin, glossy, Kermit green skin, they are nice too - need to check source

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:07 pm

Last edited by Pepper Pig on Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:05 pm

I think the vegan oven-baked chilli looks promising! I can see us giving it a go next week. I've got some frozen BNS as you can't buy it fresh at Asda online. I've also got some 95% chocolate I bought at Lidl yonks ago that needs finishing up.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Just online. Dishoom’s Autumn curries.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... ry-recipes

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:52 am

Nigel’s using geraniums this week.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... th-lentils

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Really like the look of the courgettes and lentils. But what does Nigel Slater see in mustard seeds? I dutifully bought some for a recipe and quite honestly have never seen what they add. Perhaps they were just duff seeds! Or maybe our taste buds are not discerning enough :oops:

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:45 pm

did you use black/brown mustard seeds KK2 ? They have a distinctive nutty taste & are delicious in curries or potato dishes etc. - but they must be fried first in a little oil until they pop to release their flavour - were yours old do you think?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:07 pm

If you look at the recipe he uses 2 tsp each of black and yellow mustard seeds and adds them to onions and garlic cooked to soft, so quite wet :? and I agree that seems pretty pointless - I’d possibly use less but I’d certainly temper them, ie put them in a little hot oil and let them pop before adding oil and popped seeds to the mixture as Lush says

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:22 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Nigel’s using geraniums this week.

I have never had pelargonium leaves which smelt nice. I'll take his word for it that they taste as described.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:31 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote:Nigel’s using geraniums this week.

I have never had pelargonium leaves which smelt nice. I'll take his word for it that they taste as described.

I have a rose scented Royal Pelargonium that smells like strong rose water, I’d use it as a herb, I’ve heard of putting a leaf in the base of the tins when making sponge layers which sounds quite nice

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:16 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:did you use black/brown mustard seeds KK2 ? They have a distinctive nutty taste & are delicious in curries or potato dishes etc. - but they must be fried first in a little oil until they pop to release their flavour - were yours old do you think?

I bought yellow mustard seeds for a Nigel Slater recipe and was underwhelmed, even when they were brand new and fresh (I think they were from Sainsbury's). I can't remember if they were tempered or not in the recipe.

If I try that particular recipe later this week, I may well end up mixing and matching the ingredients a bit.OH and I are not very good with chilli hot food anyway, so I'll probably just use some cayenne or chilli powder. Also, I've never actually bought curry leaves :oops: but I think I'll put them on tomorrow's Asda order to give them a try!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:44 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:58 pm

The mole sauce looks interesting (but I wouldn't want it with just beetroot). It seems quite a lot of water for the ingredients to me, what do others think? Obviously you could try it with less and increase if it seemed ok

Postby scullion » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:58 pm

i think my favourite recipe for beetroot (with tomatoes) is the madhur jaffrey one from the eastern veg cookbook - here - halfway down the page. really simple (and quicker than tomi's) and is just as tasty using the pre-cooked beetroot and tinned tomatoes.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:18 pm

The white mole would need chiles for me.
But then it wouldn´t be white, would it? :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:00 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:The mole sauce looks interesting (but I wouldn't want it with just beetroot). It seems quite a lot of water for the ingredients to me, what do others think? Obviously you could try it with less and increase if it seemed ok

It's 90/100g of pine nuts + other ingredients and only 100ml water, so it doesn't seem that wet to me?

Assuming you have taken out a mortgage to buy a whole 100g of decent pine nuts (Aldi and Lidl usually a good place to look in my experience)

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:52 pm

i think my favourite recipe for beetroot (with tomatoes) is the madhur jaffrey one from the eastern veg cookbook - here - halfway down the page. really simple (and quicker than tomi's) and is just as tasty using the pre-cooked beetroot and tinned tomatoes.

We like that one too, although in the variation I use the beets are cut into wedges.

The white mole would need chiles for me.
But then it wouldn´t be white, would it? :lol:

I suppose if you used the yellow ones it would still be whitish :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:23 am

Stokey Sue wrote:t's 90/100g of pine nuts + other ingredients and only 100ml water, so it doesn't seem that wet to me?
Assuming you have taken out a mortgage to buy a whole 100g of decent pine nuts (Aldi and Lidl usually a good place to look in my experience)

It certainly wouldn't be cheap! I think it's 275ml of water as you add more with the vinegar further down the recipe. It would be a shocking waste of pine nuts if it was too watery. It could be fine, it just seemed a lot.

("Put the nuts .... in a blender or food processor, blitz fine, then add 100ml cold water in a steady stream, blitzing until smooth ...... Add the charred onion and garlic, the spices, and a teaspoon of sea salt and pepper to taste, and blitz again for at least 40 seconds. Add the vinegar and 175ml water in a slow stream and continue to blitz until smooth ...")

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:27 am

Postby scullion » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:43 am

not being a breakfast person, none of those appeal - at all, - other than maybe the noodles for lunch.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox