Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:18 pm

Maybe brunch but not breakfast. I can't imagine ever wanting the condensed milk one.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:50 pm

I would eat the noodles, for lunch or brunch, but I hate both French toast and condensed milk, and the oat mess sounds horrible

Some of the Guardian Australia articles are a bit odd

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:41 am

I think I´ll stick with what I had this morning.
Fried eggs, sausages, tomato, and fried bread.
The best (and only) only Asian breakfast I ever had was at a Punjabi family´s house,
Chole, bhatura and a mind-blowingly hot kachumbar. And tea, of course!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:00 am

I had mohingar- a sort of curried fish noodle soup for breakfast in Burma, and in India dosas or masala omelette, tried congee savoury rice porridge. Enjoyed the Indian ones.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:09 am

So how do you do/like your poached eggs? https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... ached-eggs

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:45 am

I was brought up to believe that eggs cooked in a pan as described were called coddled eggs and that poached eggs were poached in water.
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:03 am

Tony Naylor increasingly goes up my list of food idiots I’d happily drop in the compost bin

Because he’s too lazy or clumsy to learn how to poach an egg the way many people have been doing it since childhood those who are quietly competent are in some way wrong-headed pretentious chef wannabes?

At least he knows that the eggs in shakshuka are poached or scrambled, not as people keep describing them “baked” - the dish comes from regions where domestic ovens are almost unknown

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:23 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I was brought up to believe that eggs cooked in a pan as described were called coddled eggs and that poached eggs were poached in water.

snap - well, almost. my mother would call them poached when done in a 'poaching pan' but when i started reading cookbooks and cooking i called those coddled, in a 'coddling pan'.

i'm confused as to the chap's idea that putting the poached egg next to the toast is going to make the toast any less soggy than putting it on top. it'll just be much soggier on one side - unless you drain the egg properly.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:20 pm

Felicity makes French onion soup.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... ake-recipe

I like the look of that although I usually do Delia's, more or less.

Coincidentally I bought one from the Yorkshire Provender range when my OH was in hospital and I didn't feel like cooking. It was really nasty.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:52 pm

I am disliking the egg man even more now. The whole point of putting a runny egg onto toast is to catch the yolk so that not a drop is wasted - 'mopping up' isn't the same and people rarely get every drop up. You can have a dryer piece of toast afterwards if you must. As for the picture of the yolk running onto the plate even though it's on toast ........ :evil: :evil: :evil:

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:00 pm

maybe his idea of 'mopping up' is, really, licking the plate.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:10 pm

I think the poached egg man should get a life.
Perhaps he could cut the grass on Clapham Common with a pair of nail scissors. Far better than writing pretentious rubbish about poached eggs!

Postby Renee » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:54 pm

I always poach eggs in water in a small frying pan. Simple to do and it works.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:20 pm

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:did you use black/brown mustard seeds KK2 ? They have a distinctive nutty taste & are delicious in curries or potato dishes etc. - but they must be fried first in a little oil until they pop to release their flavour - were yours old do you think?

If I try that particular recipe later this week, I may well end up mixing and matching the ingredients a bit.OH and I are not very good with chilli hot food anyway, so I'll probably just use some cayenne or chilli powder. Also, I've never actually bought curry leaves :oops: but I think I'll put them on tomorrow's Asda order to give them a try![/quote]

I've now got (dried) curry leaves - if the recipe says 15-20 fresh ones, how much dried would you put in? I think we're going to have a version tonight.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Felicity makes French onion soup.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... ake-recipe

I like the look of that although I usually do Delia's, more or less.

Coincidentally I bought one from the Yorkshire Provender range when my OH was in hospital and I didn't feel like cooking. It was really nasty.

I do my onion soup much like Felicity, stopped following a recipe years ago, I use cider or white wine, whichever is handy

I tried one Yorkshire Provencer soup, it was disgusting

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:06 pm

Our local chippy charges about £12 ish for two fish and one normal portion of chips, which is more than enough for both of us. You can also order via deliveroo or uber or just-eat, but they charge quite a premium.

The local gastro-pub charges "£15" - yes, no pence! - for their fish and chips. https://www.thecrabtreew6.co.uk/food-an ... /main-menu

(Nevertheless somewhat cheaper than The River Cafe just down the road https://rivercafe.co.uk/ :lol:
Also no pence on any of their prices.)

Postby Renee » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:26 pm

Thank goodness that they've got rid of the pence! Who are they kidding when they put £14.99 and similar. I don't see the point. No it doesn't sound less because i always think £15. I've just been looking at the Gifts section on the River Café website. £450 for an International Box. :shock:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:03 pm

Renee wrote:Thank goodness that they've got rid of the pence! Who are they kidding when they put £14.99 and similar. I don't see the point. No it doesn't sound less because i always think £15. I've just been looking at the Gifts section on the River Café website. £450 for an International Box. :shock:

Complete with candles and long matches .... :roll:

But 250g of parmesan is only £16.00 .... :lol:

Edited to add that I just watched their demo of tagliatelle with lemon and rocket - I think it was in one of the Observer supplements a while ago and when we made it, it was delicious. Interesting having their sommelier's take on what wine would match it.

Edited again to realise I thought I'd posted this on the fish and chip thread :oops: :oops:
oh dear, perhaps I'll copy and paste it into its rightful place :oops: :oops:

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:52 pm

What's the point of using pine nuts if also adding garlic, onion and spices? Wouldn't pre-soaked cashews, which are easier to blend, do just as well if they're for texture? (Can't be much pine nut flavour showing through anyway.)
Ta.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox