Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:55 pm

On the subject of teeth rotting and in a nod to a recent conversation, there were two bottles of PLJ in the fridge of a shop in Hertford the other day. Presumably they've been on sale in supermarkets for decades, just never noticed.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:59 pm

I remember making rosehip wine during the 70s & 80s. It was sherryish. In those days I was probably less fussy than now and certainly less affluent, but it was quite good for Chinese cooking.

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:33 pm

As children in the 50s/60s, we were dosed every day with Delrosa and cod liver oil on the same spoon - I think the Delrosa was an attempt to hide the taste of the cod liver oil!

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:40 pm

I spent two weeks in a children's Convalescent Home in Broadstairs following open heart surgery in 1960. And bloody grim it was too. We had to line up for a spoonful of cod liver oil, then rosehip syrup and finally malt extract which took the enamel off your teeth!

I know I am lucky to be alive but it really was the absolute worst time of my life.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:09 pm

Oh, memories! I learned what cod liver oil tasted like after stealing a capsule from the coat pocket of a girl I didn't like at school and biting into it :lol:. Rose hip syrup was huge treat as it was expensive and rarely served as a more normal squash (which was also a treat but lower down the scale). At a friend's house for tea one day we were all allowed rose hip syrup which was usually only for friend's baby sister. Unfortunately we were allowed straws too and somehow ended up blowing rose hip syrup at each other through them. It not only wasted the syrup but made rather a mess too and friend's mother was soooooo angry! I like malt extract and loved welfare orange juice.

PP - not surprising you dislike those things, it must have been a horrid time.

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Yes - I loved the thick OJ too!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:22 pm

I was allegedly given cod liver oil twice - both times the doser ended up wearing it, along with my breakfast

I had Abidec vitamin drops in my cocoa instead of that and the Delrosa etc

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:13 pm

When younger son was little we used to give him fluoride tablets every night.
When we did a "thorough" clean of the gap between the bed and the skirting board, guess what we found?Dozens of fluoride tablets :lol: :lol:

Postby miss mouse » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:57 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:When younger son was little we used to give him fluoride tablets every night.
When we did a "thorough" clean of the gap between the bed and the skirting board, guess what we found?Dozens of fluoride tablets :lol: :lol:

Possibly just as well

https://slweb.org/colquhoun.html

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:48 pm

Colin Fassnidge. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... -fassnidge

I don't know who he is either but Fassnidge is an Uxbridge name.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:50 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:When younger son was little we used to give him fluoride tablets every night.

With DD it was disclosing tablets - those tablets that left blue patches on teeth that hadn't been cleaned properly. Eventually they started coming out of the overflow hole in the wash basin where she'd pushed one down every night :roll:.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:08 pm

Both my mother (when with Alzheimer's) and the girl cat used to hide unwanted tablets behind the toaster

They were surprisingly similar - tiny, stronger than they looked, and outstandingly stubborn :D

Postby smitch » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:58 pm

I’ve ended up with damaged teeth from being given fluoride tablets as a child. It isn’t too noticeable but I used to be really conscious of it.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:52 am

The onyl thing I wa made ot have was Minadex, which was ok if a bit metallic.

I liked 'baby orange juice' too. I thought Birds Apeel (powder to be mixed with water) tasted a bit like it. Sunny D maybe too? What was in baby/welfare orange juice?!

Those disclosure tablets were used as an occasional boot up the backside for proper brushing rather than regular use in our house. i think school gave us some. They made your teeth go pink, though.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:53 am

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... ore-reader

I remember it coming in little milk bottles but that may be a false memory.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:29 pm

I think you're too young Herbi! Welfare orange juice was a thick syrup of orange juice and sugar which made a lovely drink when diluted (it contained vitamin C and maybe other vitamins)) It came in bottles of the kind of shape shown in your link and had to be collected from the clinic. I think it was free for all pre-school children in the 1950s. I didn't see it again until the early 70s. I had my first baby just before many benefits were removed and pregnant women were allowed it free (along with a free pint of milk a day and vitamins). I was delighted and really looked forward to my daily drink - it was quite nice hot. The sugar content must have been pretty high!

I think the little bottles you remember were similar to school milk bottles but with an orange drink instead. I have no idea if there was much, or any, juice in it. In our village it was only delivered by the Coop milkman which we didn't use. I always longed to have some and think I managed about twice.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:56 pm

A very good read on regional Chip variations. I know we discussed it elsewhere but this is really whacky.

https://vittles.substack.com/p/the-hype ... itions-c8d

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:01 pm

I remember Welfare Orange Juice well and orange juice in weeny milkbottles from the milkman. Definitely different things. I would have challenged that the welfare stuff was sweetened, but seems I'd be wrong from Herb's link. I don't remember it being that modern looking though, I thought the labelling was quite medicinal looking, although I remember the shape.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:18 pm

I think it was sweetened because it was very thick - and sweet - compared to ordinary orange juice. I believe it was concentrated - that might make it thicker too. Gorgeous stuff anyway :yum.

I've just read Herbi's article properly. Very interesting.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox