Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:35 pm

I have the book, it's lovely, a read as well as a recipe book, and the recipes are quite easy to follow
The Kindle version annoyingly comes without an index, this is Bloomsbury policy but we had a word with them

MiMi and I chat on social media and have met once (she is so nice, she recognised me and approached me, which was a surprise)

I went to Burma in the brief window between Aung San Su Kyi being released from house arrest and the Rohingya crisis, loved it, been eating Burmese food since I was a 6th former and my dad had Burmese students

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Am in the same boat. I daren’t use the underground. Younger son is using the Overground to Euston- 10 minutes from Harrow and Wealdstone and then getting a Boris bike to Waterloo to his office. I fear that is beyond me! :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:25 pm

That's the trouble isn't it?
I can all but walk to Lahpet, and there are so many buses I can wait for an empty one, but when we went to the Heddon Street Kitchen one of the reasons for the choice was that we could get there from Wandsworth and Stokey places we thought of sooner were impossible for one or other of us

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:16 am

The only obstacle for me would be the extended travel on public transport

I haven't caught a train or bus since March, though neither seem to have many people on them at the mo. My 'old age railcard' (to quote Mrs B) is due for renewal in a couple of weeks, not sure whether to defer it. That said, we will have to use the bus for a visit to the QE2 soon.

We've not been to a pub or restaurant either. Need to put that right, it's as good as it's going to get, Covid-wise, I guess.

Mmm, Lahpet is only a short walk from Liverpool Street. If we were to meet in the autumn I could potentially bring fresh tomatillos.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:24 am

.... and it would be just one train for me to Liverpool Street Station ... I presume mid week, mid morning there would be little foot fall, or would weekends be better :?:

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:31 am

I haven’t been through Liverpool Street yet but Old Street was dead on 27 July when I went to Moorfields, and the trains down to Liverpool Street are empty in the day

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:42 am

Seems a plan may be brewing then ;)

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:40 pm

Perfect spanakopita from Felicity.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... inach-feta

I used to make it a lot when the kids were small. Don’t remember ever putting bulgar in it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:14 pm

Hmmm, no. Interesting too that she recommends just leaving out the egg and cheese for vegans. I rather think it would need something to replace them.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:13 pm

She does say the bulghar is optional, presumably just to soak up any excess spinach juice
I tend to use dill or mint + oregano, not all 3 but othe wise that pretty much what I do, except I make mine in a round spring form tin which I recommend, as filo is so delicate but you can actually remove the sides using a spring form tin, and then slide it off the base if you have put a greaseproof circle underneath which looks nice for presentation

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:09 pm

I've never tried making spanakopita, although I really love it. That sounds like a good tip, Sue.

Felicity suggests 20 mins prep time???? Is it just me, or does that seem rather optimistic? I'm sure it would take me an awful lot longer :oops:

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:23 pm

It used to take me much longer than that! :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:45 pm

it's quite straightforward, but I think 20 minutes is minimal, though to be fair one of the reasons I liked it was that I could throw it together fairly quickly
I pre-cooked rather than salting & massaging the spinach, if fresh

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:57 pm

The recipe looks good, although I´d give the bulghur a miss. I don´t think it adds anything to the dish, providing you wring the spinach out thoroughly. I use fresh spinach (because frozen is unavailable); just wash the leaves, drain the water, put the whole lot in a pot (only with the water that clings to the leaves) and cook with the lid on. After a couple of minutes, move the spinach around with some tongs and continue until all the spinach is wilted. No more than 4-5 minutes. Drain, squeeze out the moisture.
I like the combination of dill+oregano rather than the mint.
20 minutes is pushing it as far as I´m concerned, mainly because the Phyllo pastry is tricky to manage.
I´d also like to know what "vegetarian" feta is, as opposed to "normal" feta.

Postby smitch » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:11 pm

Some feta is made with animal rennet so wouldn’t be vegetarian

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:12 pm

Ugandan rolex - vegan . I don't think it's a million miles away from what Sakkarin was making the other day.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... ndan-rolex

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:40 pm

The egg version of that rolex would be very like something we had as a breakfast in Kerala, an omelette masal rolled inside a chappati, Meera’s vegan version replaces the beaten egg with a gram flour batter

Postby smitch » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:12 pm

That looks really good. I’ve got some gram flour in the cupboard so will definitely give them a try.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:30 pm

That does look good. A bonus for me is that as it's African, the spices I dislike are missing :yum.

Now, where do you find chapatis .. ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:50 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:That does look good. A bonus for me is that as it's African, the spices I dislike are missing :yum.

Now, where do you find chapatis .. ;)

In the freezer of most supermarkets round here, next to the little blocks of frozen ginger and chilli :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox