Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:14 pm

Lots of recommended Nut Roasts here, https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/n ... um=twitter

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:20 pm

That's really interesting PP. My nut loaf recipe was the one we used in our wholefood cafe 40 years ago and I've never really looked at others (possibly because I had so much then I've never really wanted it much since). I have never seen one containing lots of cheese or a white one served with white sauce. I might have to revisit.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Lots of recommended Nut Roasts here, https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/n ... um=twitter

Could come in useful if veggie eldest DS is with us at Christmas. As there won't be any space in the oven, it's good that it can be made the day before and then just warmed up on the day. Having spoken to him yesterday and heard he may be here, I was just thinking about what I could make that didn't need the oven on the day!! So very timely ideas!!

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Hmm. Nut roasts I've eaten tend to taste like struggling through mouthfuls of grit to me, so nothing feast-like or luxuriant about them however seasonal the flavour. Maybe the linked recipes are better now than older ones?

Are nut roasts really a "go to" for Christmas, even for vegans? Nuts are expensive (as well as being gritty) and there are other veg/vegan alternatives that pair well with trimmings typically on offer.

Just my thoughts as I'm sure some nut roasts are delicious if you like them.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:24 pm

I think the recipes already posted on this thread show that they can be a lot more versatile than people think.

There's no need for them to be gritty and different coloured/textured nuts and so many choices of flavour make them quite versatile. You could have anything from crunchy whole Brazil nuts to ground almonds with a similar texture to that found in many cakes as a flour substitute. I think they need trying.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:06 pm

I’ve only made a proper nut roast once, from Rose Elliott’s Christmas book. Was delicious, and not at all gritty

Postby scullion » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:20 pm

i don't recall ever having made a nut roast. i've eaten a few but none that i would enthuse about. they seem to be the sort of thing that vegetarians are expected to like (like goats cheese) by non vegetarians. the ones i've had have ranged from dry, friable, 'gritty', stodgy and 'hunt the nut'.
maybe i should break the (over fifty year) 'block' and make one - if i could be sure of making one i'd be happy with.

Postby Amyw » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:47 pm

I’ve never made a nut roast , but have had some bought ones and like them well enough . I love all the trimmings with a roast , so a nut roast is fine for me

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:29 pm

SFH, who doesn't cook, made one at Christmas a couple of years ago.

She broke up a wholemeal loaf, turned it into a mulch with veg stock and stirred a packet of mixed nuts through it.
Then it was tipped into a loaf tin and baked.

I admit the wet bread put me off from the start, but it tasted as bad as you imagine.
If not worse.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:39 pm

That's just a waste of good food!

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 pm

WWordsworth wrote:SFH, who doesn't cook, made one at Christmas a couple of years ago.

She broke up a wholemeal loaf, turned it into a mulch with veg stock and stirred a packet of mixed nuts through it.

I admit the wet bread put me off from the start, but it tasted as bad as you imagine.
If not worse.

OMG ... :roll:

Postby Amyw » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:30 pm

WWordsworth wrote:SFH, who doesn't cook, made one at Christmas a couple of years ago.

If not worse.

Wet cement springs to mind

Postby Pampy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:50 pm

...and wallpaper paste :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Postby mistakened » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Much fuss this morning about Nigella's Double Buttered Toast. I do not like sour dough bread, I realise that this is heresy but it makes terrible toast.

Moira

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Nigella used it as a vehicle for her sandwich loaf. She doesn't do sourdough either. Or at least that was what I thought happened.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/old-fas ... dwich-loaf

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:29 pm

I haven't watched last night's programme yet so had to look up what you are talking about on t'internet. I think she has a good point re the double buttering.

I like sourdough but it can sometimes start to go stale quite quickly and think toasting helps a lot then - even more so with the thought of double buttering! If only my figure and arteries would allow - sigh.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:10 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I haven't watched last night's programme yet so had to look up what you are talking about on t'internet. I think she has a good point re the double buttering.

I like sourdough but it can sometimes start to go stale quite quickly and think toasting helps a lot then - even more so with the thought of double buttering! If only my figure and arteries would allow - sigh.

If double buttering is putting a second thick layer of butter on the melted first layer I'm afraid I am often guilty as charged :oops:

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:34 am

Just think, a warm crumpet could be buttered almost ad infinitum :mrgreen:

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox