Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:54 am

mistakened wrote:A colleague from Hong Kong introduced a group of us to Dim Sum in the early 1970's, long before they were fashionable. It was in what is now officially designated China Town. The carts were pushed round by very abrupt girls wearing navy cardigans over their cheong shams.

Having lived in Hong Kong from 1973-75 I developed a love of true Chinese cuisine... and found Dim Sum :yum . I still crave this and the coconut milk (made from fresh grated flesh watered down and sweetened) you could buy by the paper cup from road side grocers. I suspect I did also eat birds' nest soup and probably shark fin too ... I do know that both are very gelatinous. My now late ex-OH didn't share my love though. Being faced with a tureen of chicken feet soup while at a Chinese Wedding on one of the floating restaurants nearly had him passing out!

Postby mistakened » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:19 am

I think that the place that I first ate Dim Sum may have been Won Kei.

Pre Covid we used to go out for breakfast buffet at the 4* and 5* hotels in Limassol, usually the Four Seasons. There was not a scrum, not even the breakfast omelette/ egg queue, a formidable Russian lady ruled that. There were everlasting jugs of filter coffee, one waiter used to encourage me to add Prosecco to my orange juice, there were lovely hams, pastries made on the premise. the children waffles and pancakes. we usually had Eggs Benedict (Deb), Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs. Will they ever reopen?

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:42 am

It's a good question isn't it?

Also the Eat As Much As You Like Chinese places, although the one nearest us, next to Costco, closed down well before Covid.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:53 am

Excellent buffet article :lol:. My pièce de résistance at my one and only visit to an 'all you can eat' Chinese place was to upset the dish of lychees in syrup onto a variety of the hot dishes below :oops:. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a regular occurrence judging by the way they were rather delicately balanced. The staff were not amused.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:40 pm

mistakened wrote:I think that the place that I first ate Dim Sum may have been Won Kei.

I think we may be following each other - in the 70s and early 80s THE place for dim sum was in the building that’s been Wong Kei for the last 30 years, Wong Kei then being in Rupert Court

I shared a flat in Stokey in the 70s with a girl whose family ran the Chinese restaurant in the Luton Arndale centre so my education continued after I lost touch with my student friends

BM - as it’s Wong I always assumed the was just based on the owner’s family name but Googling brings me round in circles saying it means a famous Chinese restaurant

The buffet thing is spot on PP!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Postby Suffs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:14 pm

On a different note ... Oh dear .... https://uk.news.yahoo.com/gordon-ramsay ... 52092.html Scroll down the comments until you find David's :lol:

.... anyway it doesn't look anything like as good as the breakfast I had when I stayed at the Savoy .... seems like it's gone downhill since then :roll:

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:18 pm

There’s been a lot about that on Twitter Suffs! :wave :lol: :lol: :lol:

A round-up of No-Cook meals on today’s Guardian website.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/s ... s-or-fewer

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 pm

Goodness, that is a bit steep for extra breakfast items or a slice of toast isn't it! I must admit that the breakfast shown with the addition of half a slice of fried bread, would be perfect! Not at those prices though

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 pm

Well, we had a lovely no cook lunch! One salad with lettuce, rocket, parsley and a ripe avocado, one with grated carrots, raisins and apples, chives and herbs, and cottage cheese mixed up with herbes de Provence.

I love the look of the peach, tomatoes and burrata salad, although we'd probably steer clear of the hot sauce. Unfortunately we can't get burrata online at Asda or at the little local supermarkeets at the end of the road :(

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Hmmm... I suppose if you´re paying £400 + a night, you might expect something a little more generous for breakfast. I´d certainly expect a slice of fried bread and another sausage. However, while some would like black pudding, I certainly wouldn´t. I never saw that on a breakfast plate in the 30 years I spent in England.
As for "Hash Browns" - well they´re about as English as huckleberries. "Haggis"? Sorry, that´s delicious but it´s from "north of the border". "Crispy bits on the eggs" - what if I don´t like them? "Potato Scones" - first time I´ve heard of that in a Full English. Lolita Westinghouse - well, dear, if you´re staying at the bloomin´Savoy hotel, I don´t suppose you want to eat in a caff, right? 8-)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:31 am

I've seen that Gordon Ramsay breakfast
While I do like my eggs with what in my family is know as "lace" - the crispy bits round the edge- but a runny yolk I appreciate that other people don't want crispy bits (weirdos)
However, any fried egg presented so you can't tell if it is fired or poached, is badly cooked in my opinion - they are meant to be different and I bet they aren't cooked as they should be in the bacon fat

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:45 am

THAT is the secret!!
Although I usually have very little left because I like my fried bread with bacon fat! :D

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:43 am

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 am

I generally agree with the observations about the breakfast, fried eggs should look fried, haggis and potato scones have no place in a full English. The less tolerant twenty-something me would have said the same for hash browns and baked beans, but have to bow to the tide of change. I'd hope to see black pudding, it's not that unusual. Maybe kidneys for that money, but I can't remember the last time they were an option in a breakfast menu outside this house.

Stains get dealt with using bleach, hereabouts. Mucky saucepans with hot water, old washing up water or one of these plus washing soda.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:48 am

Vincenzo reminds me of a Spanish waiter a lodger brought home for a while. Hardly spoke any English but had done a lot of washing up in kitchens and was happy to do so all the time. I had inherited a blackened roasting tin (the blackness quite thick all over) which made wonderful roast potatoes. He actually scrubbed it until it was gleaming silver metal all over :o. My roast potatoes were never so nice after that.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 am

Spot the entirely unscientific use of the term “break down”
But I think most of those will work

I tend to rely variously on the dishwasher, bleach, Bar Keeper’s Friend, and Ecover Hob Spray (that would deal with a black roasting tray earthmaiden, takes the brown spots off oven dishes)

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Toothpaste can be useful for getting rust spots off metal things.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Barberry and fennel Garibaldis from last year’s GBBO champion.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/s ... garibaldis

And chocolate and pear pudding from Felicity.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/s ... ity-cloake

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Pampy wrote:Toothpaste can be useful for getting rust spots off metal things.

Also useful to make a bathroom sink gleam and smell minty fresh.

PS: It's probably clay based which I think Bar Keepers Friend might be as a lot of old fashioned things like Fuller's Earth were.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox