Register

Relax and Take a Load Off

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Relax and Take a Load Off

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:19 am

I don't have a sense of what this thread is. Anything? I have a bit of a boring question about bed linen... :?

Postby Busybee » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:22 pm

What’s the question a Herbi? I’m a real saddo that spends ages contemplating such matters.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:12 pm

Just that I would like (husband's disapproval permitting, because they are not cheap :o ) to get a new duvet cover and pillowcase set. I only have one that isn't full of holes (he thinks one is enough...!), and I know i should just mend them, and why are they so full of holes, anyway, but...

I am attracted to these linen bed sets I keep seeing advertised, and was wondering if anyone had one and if so how soft they are.

I am a very itchy person, and I have difficulty finding bedding that doesn't make me itch. (I actually have two beddings sets without holes, but one, a very nice M&S one, which claimed to be soft, and I think had a reasonably high thread count, makes me itch.) The linen looks lovely, and I don't care about creasing, but...

I suppose what I should do is wash the itchy M&S pillow case everytime I wash other bedding, but then it would end up being paler? I also have a thing about matching pillowcases and duvet covers (as in, they have to be.) :?

Back to holes in my (expensive, not *that* old, White Company) duvet cover, I am wondering if this was overdoing the whitener. They seem to be yellowing so I resorted to using this at one point.

Postby smitch » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Haven't tried any of the linen sets but I imagine they'll need loads of ironing.

I have found great quality bedding sets in both Primark (particularly their 'premium' range, can't remember the name) and Asda. Good prices too.

I have found pale bedding does discolour with use. I have really sensitive skin so can't use any of the whitener or stain remover powder products that are on the market. I also need to be careful of which detergent I use.

Postby Busybee » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:12 pm

I’ve not tried the linen sets, the creasing puts me off.

If you can bear it, Ikea could be the answer. Their bedding sets are really lovely, wash and wear really well. They certainly have a range that includes very soft to more traditional ‘robust’ cotton.

Tell you OH that’s he is wrong, you need at least two sets, one on and one in the wash.

My favourite bedding is William Morris from John Lewis but it is quite pricey, for the money Ikea wins hands down.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:21 pm

Are the IKEA ones still different to conventional British sizes though?

My very fussy older son swears by Tesco top of the range ones.

Postby smitch » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:34 pm

Ikea do standard UK sizes now.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Smitch, I have now stopped using it too. I use Fiary non bio. Even Persil non bio now seems to make me a bit itchy.

As I said not bothered about creasing. And life's way too short for ironing.

We used to have Ikea ones. They wore out but it took about ten years. Will have a look. I am rather particular about what things look like. I don't want anything too fussy or floral or brightly coloured. Ideally plain or striped in pale colours. i.e. calming :) Needs to be King Sized.

Primark does a nice white waffle (er like my White Company one) 200 thread count - but this is what my M&S one is. Has that got anything to do with softness?

I used to have a nice Habitat William Morris singlke duvet many many moons ago.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:43 pm

Maybe what I need is supima...

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:48 pm

Bamboo?

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:48 pm

I (still) need a new matress and bed too, btw...

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:50 pm

smitch wrote:Ikea do standard UK sizes now.
. Thank goodness for that!

Postby smitch » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 pm

Our bed is the Ikea European size 'double'. Duvets are fine, we can use a standard size double. It is a real pain to get fitted sheets for the mattress though.

I like bright patterns on my bedding but I've definitely seen more sedate 'classier' stuff in the shops where I buy my animal and dinosaur print duvet covers :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:41 pm

I like your style Smitch. One of my duvet covers is covered in pugs.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:23 pm

Who’s got an electric car then? https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rge-points

I love Adrian Chiles.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:49 pm

Brilliant :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:02 pm

He is amusing! I really don't feel confident about having an all-electric car yet. They do seem to be generally improving but charging still seems a bit iffy.

I think I bought my last quilt cover in Sainsburys. It's a navy and white thin stripe made from a soft cotton. King size. I love it. I get fitted sheets from Ikea, they're quite a generous size if your mattress is quite thick. The bed and mattress came from Ikea several years ago, it was DS's spare bed originally.

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Who’s got an electric car then?

when my premium bonds come up with the big one i've promised myself a tesla. i've had a lift in one (a friend dropped me to the cafe where i met up with sue, last time i saw her) - lovely car.
we have a number of friends who have electric cars - they are more than happy with them - and have no problem charging them, even down here.

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:47 pm

I have a silk duvet and pillows, duvet covers, sheets and pillow cases. There's no chance that they feel rough but they're a bu**er to iron! The duvet is really heavy and it's hard work getting the duvet cover on but strangely, doesn't feel at all heavy when I'm under it.

I'm with Scullion on the electric car choice - definitely a Tesla.

Postby smitch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:54 am

We’re not planning to change our car for a while but are definitely considering electric when we do. Most of our driving is commuting or within the city and rarely go a long way.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox