Register

Relax and Take a Load Off

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Relax and Take a Load Off

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:00 pm

With the expansion of our Foodie Feedback Community, it has become apparent that we need to accommodate those extra topics and discussions that aren't necessarily about food.
We have tried to cover most broad interests here, but if there's another thread you want to add as the board develops, let us know & we can consider it.

Welcome to The Other Stuff Board.

Re: Relax and Take a Load Off

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Did anyone see the programme last night (Tues 21) about the Torridon Hotel? It wasn't specifically about food/chefs/growing veg but those topics were covered.

The lady presenter is someone I had not heard of (Marcia Galletti?) and she did some cooking in the hotel kitchen. She also had a tour of the garden where lots of lovely things were growing (and unusual too, wasabi and grape vines - this in the highlands of Scotland).

Giles Coren was the other presenter and I'm not terribly keen on him. He was doing waitering (very badly) but the owners looked pleased as punch as this was a glorious one-hour advert for their hotel. Try to catch it on iPlayer, it's very good.

(we have stayed there on our classic tour of the Highlands. Sitting in the bar lounge overlooking the loch, G& T in hand, was unforgettable).

Postby Busybee » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi Binky,

The lady is called Monica Galetti, and she also appears on Masterchef the Professionals. Whilst having exacting standards I think she comes across as very encouraging. She is a trained chef and used to work for Michel Roux Jr.

I think she is an engaging presenter, the hotel series can be very interesting, showing you hotels that most of us can only dream of staying in. I didn’t see last nights programme, but I think that this is the second series, you might be able to see previous episodes etc on catch up.

BB

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:30 pm

I hadn't realised she was so accomplished. No wonder the owners didn't mind her doing some cooking in the hotel kitchen.

The Torridon was the best hotel we stayed in when in Scotland. The Cameron House Hotel, overlooking Loch Lomond, has - or did have- a good reputation but we didn't think it was a patch on the Torridon.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:47 pm

I saw part of the programme. I think what impressed me most was that the owners had bought it as a rundown place and brought it up to that standard themselves. Wow!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:56 pm

I must catch up with this one then ... whilst I enjoy these kind of programmes to a point (same as with A Place in the Country), I end up frustrated that I will never be able to afford any of the lifestyles they present. :cry:

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:11 pm

She runs her own restaurant - Mere. Although it's closed at the moment because of Covid a friend went last year and said it is wonderful.

https://mere-restaurant.com/

Postby dennispc » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:05 pm

You beat me to it Binky. I'm not keen on Giles Coren either, but the programme was fascinating. Including the original owner bringing top soil from Ireland to create a two acre kitchen garden, and Monica putting on wellies to wade into the loch to collect water for cooking and cutting sea weed to ensure it grew again.

And you've stayed there! Respect. :thumbsup

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:12 pm

We have a rather cherished car which can only be taken to places with secure overnight parking, or at least away from busy roads.

OH always checks out the parking arrangements before even looking at what the rooms are like. The Scots hotels are excellent for remoteness and security.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:40 pm

I'll have to watch that.
Shieldaig is just round the headland, and an absolute paradise overlooking the water. We toured Scotland via castles a few years ago now, but the Torridon area I will always recommend if asked.

Monica is so encouraging.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:07 pm

There's an anti-Giles faction on Twitter, because of some very bad behaviour of his n - he has been appallin grude on a number of occasions

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:20 pm

I thought his bad attitude came across on the TV programme. He thinks he's such a smart@rse.

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:51 pm

I was never keen on him anyway but his behaviour on Twitter has been awful. I think he has left now but still has an account in another name.

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:10 pm

I had no idea about his twitter account but this is why I can't stand the man. Being half Polish myself, his attitude and language is despicable.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/can-eu ... on-poland/

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:27 pm

I’ve never liked him ... he comes over as an arrogant to$$er ... I’m not surprised by what I’ve just read.

Postby patpoyntz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:44 pm

Binky wrote:Did anyone see the programme last night (Tues 21) about the Torridon Hotel? It wasn't specifically about food/chefs/growing veg but those topics were covered.

The lady presenter is someone I had not heard of (Marcia Galletti?) and she did some cooking in the hotel kitchen. She also had a tour of the garden where lots of lovely things were growing (and unusual too, wasabi and grape vines - this in the highlands of Scotland).

Giles Coren was the other presenter and I'm not terribly keen on him. He was doing waitering (very badly) but the owners looked pleased as punch as this was a glorious one-hour advert for their hotel. Try to catch it on iPlayer, it's very good.

(we have stayed there on our classic tour of the Highlands. Sitting in the bar lounge overlooking the loch, G& T in hand, was unforgettable).

By a strange coincidence we drove past the hotel a couple of hours earlier, so it was funny to get home and watch the programme! It was a lovely day, so we decided to have a wee topless tour out west, it’s only a 90 minute drive for us.
The Kishorn seafood hut has just reopened, not a full menu, their seafood platters are gorgeous, but still had a lovely lobster salad and a glass of picpoul sitting in the garden. The roads were very busy with motor homes and camper vans...we don’t usually get that until August, and so I suppose it will get worse. I wish people got lessons on how to drive on single lane narrow roads! The drive we did is part of the NC500, lots of bikers do it very quickly, but we saw quite a few classic cars driving more sedately...as I’m sure you did Binky.
We have never stayed at the Torridon, I didn’t realise it was so smart. I think our favourite country hotel in Scotland is the Gleneagles, big, or The Three Chimneys, small.
I think Giles Coren is a very poor presenter, I don’t know how Monica puts up with him.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:09 am

Giles Coren’s wife Esther was very rude to me on Twitter once.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:49 pm

Hope you were rude back PP! :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pampy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:33 pm

The tv programme is repeated this afternoon on (I think) BBC2 at 4.15pm

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:13 pm

Forgot about it earlier, but it's on again on Saturday at 4.15.

And it's on iPlayer... "Amazing Hotels".

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox