Register

TV and Online Cooking Shows

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: TV and Online Cooking Shows

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:31 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:If you did, you'd probably want to get organic bananas anyway! I have a feeling my sister does something "healthy" by boiling up whole bananas in their skins, and she will only use organic bananas.

Those on FB will know that I commented on there that when I am including banana in my morning oat smoothie, the whole lot goes in the blender, but the banana has to be organic. I understand the skin contains lots of goodness, never mind all that fibre and you hardly notice it in the smoothie :thumbsup

James may--oh cook

Postby mark111757 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:15 pm

Watched a bit of epi one. I enjoyed it and chuckled. To me similar to Delia but approaching cooking from a different angle.

Was on amazon prime. I found it on the download circuit.

Saving Britain's pubs with Tom kerridge

Postby mark111757 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:26 pm

Thursday on BBC 2 at 800pm London time. Also on the iPlayer and thru the download circuit.

Homepage....https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pb9j

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:21 pm

Crikey Pepper Pig, that's just cruel when there are only so many hours in a day.

Thanks nevertheless as certainly some "must watch".

Q: I've noticed with one series I watched on Amazon Prime that if it's due to expire they notified me to watch the rest, like fast, so maybe watching one episode of each might trigger that alert? Ta.

I'm a newbie re watching Prime as, like I said, not enough hours in a day.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:24 pm

I avoid Amazon so I don't see any of those.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:05 pm

Just watching Nigella, episode 2
Intrigued by the bread but 2 things
1 if you leave it 10 minutes, knead 10 seconds then repeat this a couple of times it isn’t exactly faff free is it? Not sure I want to hang around dancing attendance on my dough for half an hour, unable to get on with anything else, I’d rather pummel it well and leave it to prove

2 she used a Danish dough whisk, I’ve been eyeing one up, I suppose she has now reduced the availability and increased the price by putting her seal of approval on it :shock:

Postby dennispc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:15 am

Nigella said she was inspired by Dan Lepard. The story he tells is that in his early days, as well as baking, he was also expected to deal with serving ice creams to the public. Thus sometimes he got interrupted kneading and gradually realised quick kneads with a break would suffice. I tried the method a couple of times, though didn’t knead, just a baker’s fold, but soon gave up unless I was doing something else in the kitchen.

I did post elsewhere that I cheered when Nigella, after putting the flour in a bowl, threw in the dried yeast and then salt and sugar. No faffing about with keeping salt separate! :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:09 pm

I am giving this a go as I write ... my dough is on it's first 1 hour prove while I listen to the Archers Omnibus... I was in the kitchen doing odds and sods for the first 3 x 10 minute bursts. However, I didn't have caster sugar, so intended to melt the sugar in the boiling water, before adding the cold water and (Kefir) milk ... and forgot, so had to sling it in on top of the now sticky ingredients .. hoping that.

I have just looked online for the Danish Dough whisk and Amazon have them for about £8-10, but Sous Chef has one for £4.99... just have to add on postage, only free if you spend more than £75 :( :shock: :roll:

and meant add that Sous Chef also sell the Crispy Chili sauce and the Gochujang paste that Nigella promotes . :thumbsup . I'm nearly there with the £75 spend :roll: :shock: :o

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:05 pm

The whisks seem to be cheaper when labelled as Dutch rather than Danish

Don’t know why that would be be, but it does look as if she has pushed up the price, they were cheaper when I first looked

Ah - on closer inspection Dutch have 2 “eyes” (loops) but Danish have one

Dutch

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/HINMAY-12-In ... NrPXRydWU=

Danish
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/HINMAY-Danis ... 213&sr=8-5

Traditionally they have sturdy wooden handles but I might go for one of those with a stainless handle that goes in the dishwasher

Postby dennispc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:39 pm

Nigella was making something akin to Italian toasting bread. Couldn't believe my eyes the other day, when I saw the bread on sale in Waitrose!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:10 pm

et voilá .... it turned out perfectly. I use kefir as I had plenty and thought/hoped it would add something to the taste .. :thumbsup Just enjoying my sample as a cheese sandwich with ..... bread & butter pickle ;) :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:21 pm

Looks great Pat!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 pm

That looks absolutely terrific, Pat :yum :clap Did you have strong flour or was that not required? I haven't seen the programme.

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:10 pm

That looks really lovely Patsy.
I watched the programme and fancy having a go. Will you be double buttering your toast? :lol:

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:49 pm

<- Tee hee. A good lookin' loaf :)

Stokey Sue, coincidentally I spotted the Danish whisk on a video last week, so ordered this (being a set of two for some reason - maybe they fall apart easily...):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06 ... UTF8&psc=1

I opted for the Danish design after reading this critique of them:
https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advic ... er-article

Would stainless be difficult to grip, or maybe make hands/wire warm?

I also ordered this dough cutter and scraper pair whilst at it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:That looks absolutely terrific, Pat :yum :clap Did you have strong flour or was that not required? I haven't seen the programme.

Yes it was Strong white ... :thumbsup

WolfGirl wrote:That looks really lovely Patsy.
I watched the programme and fancy having a go. Will you be double buttering your toast? :lol:

I did put a fair amount of butter on the bread (not toasted as it was still warm), but will halve the salt - 2 teaspoons was too much for me - I just hope it doesn't affect the finished product. :roll:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:02 pm

jeral wrote:<- Tee hee. A good lookin' loaf :)

Stokey Sue, coincidentally I spotted the Danish whisk on a video last week, so ordered this (being a set of two for some reason - maybe they fall apart easily...):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06 ... UTF8&psc=1

I opted for the Danish design after reading this critique of them:
https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advic ... er-article

Would stainless be difficult to grip, or maybe make hands/wire warm?

I also ordered this dough cutter and scraper pair whilst at it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

The Epicurious article is interesting, thanks

I don’t think I’d find s/steel difficult to grip, I’ve got a lot of too,s with metal handles, but I’ll have another look as the wooden one might be more shaped

I probably have enough scrapers and cutters

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:21 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:... [clip]... but will halve the salt - 2 teaspoons was too much for me - I just hope it doesn't affect the finished product. :roll:

IMO reducing the salt will not affect the baking characteristics at all, just the taste. Also, it's easy to add a sea salt tiny sprinkle to a slice of bread if you think it needs it, depending on what you'll put on it wich might itself be salty. For me, the low salt initiative in bought bread leaves it lacking *though I do eat it dry rather than buttered), so we probably all have a Goldilocks just right optimum.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:34 pm

I learned bread from Elizabeth David's English Bread & Yeast Cookery

Her theory, which I think I agree with, is that most people have a preference for salty bread or salty butter, I think there's something in that

I tend to follow her advice to dissolve the salt & sugar (or other sweetener) in the boiling water to be used, add the cold water or milk and any oil then mix that into the dry ingredients, rather as is done for muffins. Makes even mixing very easy.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff