Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:05 am

Beautiful :clap :thumbsup :clap :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:14 pm

They are lovely.

re sideways, I find it helps to 'edit' the photo before posting. This can be just turning it round then back to how it was to star with, then saving. Not sure if this works if posting from a phone, though.

I am now about a third of the way throuth planting my bulbs. If they all come up, it will be lovely. Lots of daffies this year.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:21 pm

I don’t think those would appreciate the current weather here

Lovely, Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:19 am

Thanks for the 'likes' :D
Thought I'd send a bit of sunshine from the sub-tropics!!

Herbie, I'll try editing next time, but actually I didn't think they'd post at all after the hassles with image size I had last time I tried ;)

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Wow Rainbow! spectacular plants.... :thumbsup

Was not sure where to post on birds so went for this one..... 2 days ago we noticed fresh wood chippings on our paved parking area and blamed our neighbour who spends hours with a chainsaw making a lot of noise and the wind. OH noticed shortly later 2 greater spotted woodpeckers spending a lot of time in our silver birch. Today we have been watching it thru bins making a large circular hole hear the top of the tree. it will be a joy to watch as time develops. It is clearly visual from the top landing with bins. Isn't nature just wonderful. My white hellebores are out as well. :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Lovely Rainbow!

What a delight, Zosh! They can be quite noisy can't they!

Before Christmas I was given a lovely Christmas basket. I have done my best to keep it happy and moist but the small roses and poinsettia have passed their best and dried out. I have removed the poinsettia and cut the roses right back (this may not be the right thing but I am quite happy with it). I'd like to add something spring-like to the gaps (preferably which flowers before March/April) but can't work out the best way. I think I'd need to buy bulbs which are on sale in pots to flower quite soon like hyacinths or something. I may have some dwarf daffs in the garden with shoots but find they grow quite nasty and scraggly when brought into indoor warmth. If I bought something in a pot, would it be unhappy to be taken out?

I didn't think it would be much of an issue until I really thought about it. Is it worth even bothering? Your expertise please!

20210103_144244_resized.jpg
20210103_144244_resized.jpg (211.67 KiB) Viewed 5388 times

Postby scullion » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:26 pm

a small christmas cactus - and an easter one?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:05 pm

Not something I'd have thought of, could be nice. Hmmm, where to find them when I'm trying not to go to shops?

I have also remembered that someone gave me a little kalanchoe a month or so back which has lots of little pink flowers. I am not really a houseplant person and already have the cyclamen in the reindeer to nurture :roll:. I wonder if I could successfully plant the kalanchoe into the basket? The person who gave it to me gave me another a couple of years ago. I ended up planting it in the garden and it grew quite big.

Postby Renee » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:58 am

Gorgeous plants Rainbow!

Postby Renee » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:00 am

Em, what about white small cyclamens?

Postby scullion » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:11 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Hmmm, where to find them when I'm trying not to go to shops?

people who have one sometimes have babies or could give you a cutting (very easy to grow) - why not put out a request on the community facebook group you subscribe to - someone might give you them.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:05 pm

I have been sending off for seeds, and quite a few arrived this morning (mainly beans) including some Nigella Sativa. I am quite excited about this. Has anyone grown it?

https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Vegetabl ... Seeds.html

Postby scullion » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:00 pm

i've only grown the ordinary love in a mist but have thought about getting some of the sativa - maybe i'll plant some of the ones in the cupboard!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Just went down the garden and spotted some white sprouting broccoli with a small head forming on it. Only noteworthy (apart from for the joy of any development in the garden, especially in winter) because I really didn't think it would do where I put it. A bit shady. Elsewhere it's not even grown bigger than when I bought the seedlings months ago.) I pulled off a leaf that was covered with eggs.
Also pulled a few chantenay carrots for tonight. I keep forgetting about them. I only grew a few in a container.
The garden is very flooded in parts. Some areas more than ankle deep but I suspect not half way up to my knee as it's been in the past.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:21 pm

I bought some 'oyster leaf' seeds today. Mertensia maritima. Realized left it too late to sow for the coming seasons, but curious about it and never heard of before. A James Wong thing - his stuff can be a bit hit and miss. It does look a bit tricky to grow. May not be cold enough here.

I have an Italian mistral anemone that looks like it's about to flower :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:36 pm

scullion wrote:i've only grown the ordinary love in a mist but have thought about getting some of the sativa - maybe i'll plant some of the ones in the cupboard!

As I had a big bag of culinary seeds that have been lurking in the cupboard a while I tested a pinch on wet cotton wool ... alive and kicking, so definitely worth a try, will plant some, ideal for my "ornamental herb garden"

I ordered some seeds of piment d'Espelette aoc, as I'd like the chillies, and knowing the climate of Espelette (just south of Biarritz), I thought they might be happier on my terrace than last year's jalapenos. I ordered just them, but they sent me a full pack of Calabrian chillies as well (marked free) - which are the proper Italian pepperoncini so I am very pleased

Herbi, you said on the Chat that you had been to a garden centre, I had assumed they were closed, so I just looked and Homebase is opening, I can walk to one and I'd like some more of their good cheap basic terracotta pots so happy again. Will go sooner rather than later I think, I could just about manage but if you only have pots it's useful to have spares for rotation

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:09 pm

They've been allowed to be open all along. Some aren't though. The chains seem to be, on the whole. I had thought that B&Q and Homebase had been open all along.

en route yesterday, I saw a woman carrying a load of brand new bedding - pillows etc. Argos in a supermarket? Or Homebase?

I have resisted going to a garden centre as a leisure activity, and one can hardly say that buying root trainers was necessary yesterday, but I did it anyway. I don't think it was risky to others or me, particuarly. Less so than my local supermarket, I suspect.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:19 pm

Bedding you can get on click and collect from a lot of places, as there is no longer a garden centre in Stokey "village" I just assumed that most of the shops other than the supermarkets on the retail parks would be closed. Thinking about it, KAC's hardware is open (but he doesn't sell terracotta pots, it's a tiny shop)

In fact when I checked for delivery/collection, it seems I need B&Q at Tottenham Hale, which is a nicer walk along the Lea Navigation, and there is a direct bus home. They seem to have plenty of stock, so I'll risk it when I fancy the walk and if they have none, I can hit the big Lidl instead

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:43 pm

There is a tiny hardware shop open on the Sydenham high street too. I guess these come under building supply places, which are exempt from closure.

We used to go to that B&Q (and Lidl) back in the day :)

Postby herbidacious » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:53 pm

My Hotbin MkII just arrived! I was very anxious when it came as I have also ordered a large very fancy variable (controllable) temperature heated propogator with lights. I thought I'd miscalculated the size (yet again): the package was massive (not surprisingly.) Kind of chest height fridge-sized. It seems to be made of very dense polystyrene :?

Both are work bonus presents.

I fear the propogator maybe bigger than I had visualized... :?

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff