Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby scullion » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:01 pm

hmm, i think i would rather keep my grey than walk about with the smell of sage on my hair all the time.
embrace the grey!

Postby miss mouse » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:23 pm

scullion wrote:embrace the grey!

I am, I now have zebra stripes, most interesting.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:00 pm

miss mouse wrote:
scullion wrote:embrace the grey!

I am, I now have zebra stripes, most interesting.

My stripes are quite narrow, my hairdresser and I have decided it's a kind of wood grain effect

Postby herbidacious » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:25 pm

Sorry, not quite ready to embrace the grey just yet. I am tolerating it though.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:49 pm

I received some of my Suttons orders yesterday :D 6 tomato plug plants an 3 auberinges. One of the tomatoes was not happy at all. Am hoping it will revive.

One of the varieties is a new one to me.

Also potted on some blueberries with ericaceous compost that I ordered from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. (Only place I could get it.) It's like dust :( Even after several waterings.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:13 pm

I have a gardening question and am almost too embarrassed to take it to the GW forum. I planted some poppies out the front a few weeks ago. The soil is very poor but I put plenty of potting compost in the hole and have been watering them. I was doing something else yeterday and 'knocked' one of them and it came right out of the ground. i.e, the roots have not taken hold.

Any remedial suggestions for immediate action, given that obviously the improvement of the soil is a longer term thing (which i should have done first)? I'm surprsied it's not died...

The same bed is full of tulips and daffodils so can only do whatever I do piecemeal right now.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:19 pm

Not squirrels is it Herbi?

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:13 pm

when you put them in was there a good root ball? was it wound round in the pot? - if yes, tease out some of the root before putting it back.
if no, was it wilting at all? if no, the roots are doing what they should be doing and maybe don't feel the need to spread.maybe water a little further away from them so they have to make an effort! if yes you may be overwatering it or it didn't like where you put it. i don't think the soil needs to be too rich.
i'm sure poppies are rather robust - they seem to self seed in the most barren places, sometimes. my daughter has the big asiatic type (self seeded) coming up at the edge of her stony drive.
if it isn't dead don't worry !

Postby herbidacious » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:04 pm

Can't remember what the roots were like. Probably not pot bound as most of the plants I am ordering (this was one) are not that far on. It was healthy and still looks healthy although just went out to give it another water, and it's a bit smaller than its sibling.

Ok will stop worrying. I want to put more plants in this area soon. Will make sure there is plenty of compost and mulch with some garden compost. I've had limited success with the area. My blackcurrant salvia has thrived though, although its a bit woody. I just snapped some branches off - it's gettign too big - and after having had it for 3-4 years I have now realize why it is thus names. Not the colour of the flowers, as I presupposed, but the scent of the stems! Amazing! Just like ribena :)

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:32 pm

much like your sage, one of the ways you can tell the difference between blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes in their winter state (and you've forgotten which is which) is by gently drawing your fingers up to the top of the 'branches'. then sniff your fingers - the blackcurrants smell of - blackcurrants. the red (and white) don't smell.
blackcurrants are a different family to the latter two which is why the pruning regime is different.

Postby Suffs » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:03 pm

Herbi you can never shock the GW lot ... once we had a query about a bare root rose that was refusing to grow ... the gardener had done all the suggested things and still no buds or leaves ... we asked for a photo ... when it appeared it showed that the rose bush had been planted ............ upside down! We were very kind and tactful and didn’t laugh at all ... (well not on the forum anyway) :lol:

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:32 pm

i have decided to sow some beans, outside, early.
the peas i planted the other day are coming through quicker than i expected so maybe the ground has warmed up sooner than usual with all this sun. i have some more, if they decide against showing, that i can sow in pots if there's a no-show.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:09 pm

Good tip, Scully. I only have one blackcurrant. A few reds. And a white... :)

Suffs it's more the shame at my foolishness.

I need to have a think about peas ;) (and beans.)

I have a tall metal bread bin which we don't use. Might bash holes in it today and sow trailing sweet peas. I have some spiral metal libary stairs which I meant to put outside last year. It could go on that. It might look rather pretty if it works.

Talking of which, my tulips are individually gorgeous but my planting 'scheme' is terrible. I might dig some up and rearrange next year. Have taken photos so I know roughly what's where, but maybe I should actually label them.They are still coming out and I don't know what's what until it does. I really gorgeous one came out today. Will take photo when the sun is in the right spot.

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:07 pm

remember to open out, wash and cut up (kitchen scissors or the like work fine) your empty tomato puree tubes to make permanent plant labels rather than use plastic ones that degrade in the garden. indent the plant name etc with an old, empty ball point or similar. pierce a hole and tie it to the tree or to a stick to put near the plants you want to identify at a later date.

Postby miss mouse » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:11 pm

scullion wrote:remember to open out, wash and cut up (kitchen scissors or the like work fine) your empty tomato puree tubes to make permanent plant labels rather than use plastic ones that degrade in the garden. indent the plant name etc with an old, empty ball point or similar. pierce a hole and tie it to the tree or to a stick to put near the plants you want to identify at a later date.

Well I did not know that, a very handy tip.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:54 pm

Yes a good tip. Althpugh I don't get through purree tubes very often.

This is today's tulip. I can't work out what variety it is

49754291207_0ab77e7792_c.jpg

And thisis my other favourite so far

49743661082_c07d9ee94a_c.jpg

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:56 pm

The first one looks a bit like an amaryllis.

Re tying the re-purposed tube to a tree - don't do like I did and tie a label quite firmly and then forget about it. It has ended up being almost absorbed by the tree(ie the trunk grew round the tie). :oops: :oops:

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:01 pm

It's definitely a tulip!

Postby miss mouse » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Pampy wrote:
Re tying the re-purposed tube to a tree - don't do like I did and tie a label quite firmly and then forget about it. It has ended up being almost absorbed by the tree(ie the trunk grew round the tie). :oops: :oops:

Or even loosely as I did and forgot. Amazingly the tree flourishes.

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:43 pm

Did you get any tulips from Sarah Raven ... the first looks very like some of the ones I've seen in her catalogue/website ... very much her palette.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff