Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:44 am

Very sad, just been out and pulled up all four of my courgette plants, T & M seeds, didnt feel able to take a chance on the fruits as we both have sensitive tum's at the best of times. :( :(

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:11 am

What was wrong with them? It was Mr Fothergill's that were problematic, not the variety, and even then just one batch number. They did say you would know after tasting a tiny bit of one from one plant just once (if one is ok on the plant they all will be.) I have T&M 'zucchini'.

You might bve able to get some more plants if you are able to go to a garden centre. I might try to do this to replace midlew ruined ones.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:13 am

Postby ChinchillaLady » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:09 pm

It was on Look East last night that T&M had recalled seeds too, Mr C and I decided that as ours were T&M seeds we didnt want to take a chance, we both have sensitive stomachs so felt the better part of valour was discretion (or some such!) Wont replace the plants, and will probably not grow them next year either.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:18 pm

Ok I will watch put for my T&M courgettes. Unfortunately the labels have been lost so I don't know which plant is which :o

My T&M ones were free with Grow Your Own I think... I wish I could find a link to the recall - if it's a matter of batch number I would feel happpier knowing.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:22 pm

They must all get their seeds from the same place...

Postby ChinchillaLady » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:51 pm

That's what I thought.

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:56 pm

here?
i couldn't see anything online about a t&m recall, although some companies do own other labels so seed could be from the same source.

Postby Linnet » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:31 pm

We've been eating courgettes from T & M seeds for almost the last month with no ill effects - have been very prolific too.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:04 am

I watched the relevant Look East in the hope theat they would mention a batch number.

I think I am ok. I have 5 plants. I now I have eaten courgettes from two. The other three, I've not had many and can't say if I have had fruit of all three, but they are finished by powery mildew anyway so will have to be chucked. (Can I put them in the council-colected garden waste bin?) Will be looking out for replacements.

Mangetout and sweet peas will be the next to succumb :(

My broad beans don't seem to be doing as well as I hoped. They flowered prolifically and I saw lots of bees but not that many pods. I wonder what went wrong.

I think I am not feeding enough. I forget. It's a lot of work. I have too many things on the go for one person to do it all.

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:39 am

Info about the T&M courgette problem https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discus ... warning/p1.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:55 am

Can I have some advice please? I have made some weird purchases during lockdown, mainly to cheer myself up. Am not much of a gardener, we have a man to keep it tidy. Most years I do tubs and baskets - availability of plants made it tricky this year (and everything I ordered from T&M died as our Post Office just wasn’t delivering).

So this week I ordered this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

I think I can keep on top of the plants bit. What would you grow first, and later? It arrived yesterday. May have to get someone to help with the assembly. :oops:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:43 am

How deep is the shelf at the bottom? I can't see if you need to provide a container for planting. Personally I would go for Hosta, but that's because they are so easy to keep and don't seem to have many enemies - slugs probably won't get to them there, or you could plant it up with annuals at this time of year, then (miniature) bulbs in November for spring ?

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:47 am

I'll let you know when I've put it together Pat! Got a Zoom photography class this morning so will assemble this afternoon.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:54 am

If I lived closer, I could pop round and help you ..

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:04 am

Are you going to use the bird bath bit to put a pot on? It's a curious concept. Anything that birds go on tends to end up with bird poo in the vicinity :? Birds never go in my stone bird bath. I have given up and it's currently a plant stand. It currently has a pot of mixed colour Iceland poppies on it which the bees are going mad for. With it being slightly elevated, the ight shines through the petals and they seem almost luminous.

I'm not sure how to answer you question. Anything that appeals to you, really. I suppose something long-flowering, which doesn't need a deep pot (are those plastic mini tulips in the photo?!) Do you want perennials? I take it you are not going to garden centres to browse?
Aubretia would be nice in the spring, as it would cascade over. Or campanula. But maybe not interesting enough... Marigolds?

If you do use the bird bit as a pot stand, it would be a good place to put things that slugs like.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:44 am

What a pretty thing, I wish I had room for one, Rip Van Winkle Daffs for the spring? I am currently going through a succulent phase as well, I can see those looking good en mass and not needing a lot of watering.

Postby scullion » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:05 pm

i would consider planting it with a miniature climbing rose so you could train it up the s shape bit. it would stop cats attempting to go foraging for the birds - or with a small clematis which could also climb through the upright and soften its outline a bit.
if the birds don't use it you could always use it as a coffee cup stand next to your sun lounger.
the light is an interesting concept. i was unaware of the habit of nighttime bathing in birds.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:31 pm

It looks as though you have to provide your own planter. You could put one in the bird bath bit as well if birds don't come. I like garden lights.

I was thinking maybe something like pansies which flower in colder months as well - or hardy herbs. If you had extra interchangeable planters you could grow bulbs such as those small daffs (tete a tete?) and put them out in the spring.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:30 pm

Just unwrapped it. The planter is included.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff