Attachments
first leaves on acer.JPG
first leaves on acer.JPG (42.94 KiB) Viewed 3554 times

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:41 pm

Woo hoo! :clap :clap :clap

Postby Renee » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:39 pm

It's going to be a lovely tree KC2! I like the shape of it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Thank you, Renee, we spent ages trying to decide how to position it and I'm very pleased with the end result!
We went to Kew a few days ago and looked at the same variety that's growing there, and were pleased to see that ours is at more or less the same stage of leafing as the ones there :thumbsup
Some of the red ones were significantly ahead, I think Bloodred was one of them. That one is reasonably widely available too and we considered it but are really pleased we chose the one with the striking yellow bark.

There was some gorgeous blossom and narcissi. Here are a couple of pics.
Attachments
Narcissi.JPG
Narcissi.JPG (43.6 KiB) Viewed 3492 times
blossom at Kew.JPG
blossom at Kew.JPG (47.4 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

Postby Renee » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:20 am

What a lovely time of the year to visit Kew!

I like the yellow bark which will be a nice contrast to the green ivy behind it.

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 01, 2021 11:03 am

It looks lovely there, KC. I wonder it it's busy at the weekends.

My sitting room jungle situation is getting quite critical. It feels worse than it looks...

IMG_7200.JPG
IMG_7200.JPG (147.16 KiB) Viewed 3369 times

And this is just the sitting room... Goodness knows what the cat sitters will think next weekend, but I can put a fair bit of water in the tomato, aubergine and chilli-occupied trays, I think...?

I had a shelf with a smaller tray of seedlings on it collapse last night. Miraculously only one plant was damaged, and it was not one that was thriving anyway (summer savory.) Would have been upset if the zinnias had bitten the dust...

Oh dear, Husband just called out that more plants have arrived. I think ones that can go straight outside though. I have to stop buying and sowing.

But, I really do need to sow my peas and beans asap.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 01, 2021 5:20 pm

Herbi, that looks truly wild!!!!

We generally go to Kew during the week. You obviously have to book now so it may be that week-ends are not quite as crowded as they used to be pre-covid - when there were definitely more people and families there than during the week.

They've changed the parking arrangements so if you get there later than 12.00 you'd have to be pretty lucky to get a space on the road as someone leaves. The residents' parking restrictions stop at 12 so we always book the 12.00 visiting slot nowadays. We also always go in at the gate nearest Richmond, the Lion Gate, as that's where there's most available parking.

There is a car park, up at the opposite end, the Kew Bridge end, at the Brentford Gate. That's also the bit where most of the child-oriented / family activities etc used to be situated, but I have no idea what is still open on that front at all ...

All the times we've booked it's only been full up once. That's for members' tickets. I am sure they probably have unlimited paying entrance as it costs an arm and a leg nowadays!

The bluebells are the Lion Gate end, so we'll definitely try and get there next week, if it's not raining all the time! Will take a pic :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat May 01, 2021 6:15 pm

Any of you experts out there know what tree this seed pod might have come from?
I found it in my garden, brought it in and overnight it split revealing the lone seed. I do intend planting it, just to see what happens, but have no idea what tree/shrub it might have come from :?
The pod is 3 inches from end to end and the seed is about as big as my little finger nail

Ideas on a postcard please :thumbsup
Attachments
seedID2.jpg
seedID2.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 3335 times

Postby Pampy » Sat May 01, 2021 11:08 pm

Don't recognise the seed but this might help http://theseedsite.co.uk/db1.html
Last edited by Pampy on Sun May 02, 2021 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby scullion » Sun May 02, 2021 2:43 am

it looks a bit like a wisteria seed pod that's been dyed.
wisteria is just coming out down here so i wouldn't have thought it had started to make pods yet, though.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun May 02, 2021 9:54 am

Using Pampy's website and Scully's suggestion I looked up Wisteria and that isn't listed :roll: :?

This pod is very old and dried out, so would have come from last year's plant but my neighbour and myself both have wisteria in our gardens, so that's a distinct possibility ........ and having just googled, I think that's what it is :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Edited to add, that it takes about 15 years to grow from seed :shock: ... it is recommended that you propogate from cuttings .. :roll:

Postby Renee » Sun May 02, 2021 10:16 am

:lol: So you're not going to bother putting the seed into a pot Pat?

Postby Suffs » Sun May 02, 2021 10:41 am

Off the top of my head ... any laburnums around?

Postby Linnet » Sun May 02, 2021 10:50 am

About 10 yrs ago we were clearing part of the garden where I wanted lawn, saving some things to replant, when I found what looked like a pecan nut, same size and colour. Decided to put it in a pot - I now have a 4ft tall monkey puzzle! I have no idea where it could have come from or how long it might have been there, nearest monkey puzzle tree is at least a mile away.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 02, 2021 1:50 pm

Whatever happened to Monkey Puzzles? They often graced the gardens of old people when I was a child. I read somewhere recently that they are endangered so it's great you're growing one!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 02, 2021 2:20 pm

Suffs wrote:Off the top of my head ... any laburnums around?

We had laburnum in the garden when I was a child, as I remember them the pods are long and slim and contain multiple seeds, each a lot smaller than that - very much like garden pea pods

LBut I agree a legume like wisteria or laburnum

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Is it laburnum that’s poisonous to dogs? Yes. Lots of monkey puzzles when I was a girl.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun May 02, 2021 5:42 pm

Laburnum sap is poisonous to humans & animals alike.

Postby Binky » Sun May 02, 2021 6:28 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Herbi, that looks truly wild!!!!

We generally go to Kew during the week. You obviously have to book now so it may be that week-ends are not quite as crowded as they used to be pre-covid - when there were definitely more people and families there than during the week.

They've changed the parking arrangements so if you get there later than 12.00 you'd have to be pretty lucky to get a space on the road as someone leaves. The residents' parking restrictions stop at 12 so we always book the 12.00 visiting slot nowadays. We also always go in at the gate nearest Richmond, the Lion Gate, as that's where there's most available parking.

There is a car park, up at the opposite end, the Kew Bridge end, at the Brentford Gate. That's also the bit where most of the child-oriented / family activities etc used to be situated, but I have no idea what is still open on that front at all ...

All the times we've booked it's only been full up once. That's for members' tickets. I am sure they probably have unlimited paying entrance as it costs an arm and a leg nowadays!

The bluebells are the Lion Gate end, so we'll definitely try and get there next week, if it's not raining all the time! Will take a pic :thumbsup

Keen Cook, Kew Gardens is one of the properties in the 2-for-1 entry offer in this month's BBC Gardeners World magazine (this offer runs annually and it's a great money saver if you visit some stately homes and gardens. Audley End for instance is £20.90 per adult so you save £20.90 on that visit alone if there's two of you).

Back to Kew - do you know if there is provision for Blue Badge parking at Kew or on nearby streets?

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff