Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:53 pm

my lovely n'bor has flat leaved p. that has been going for 3 yrs. she shares it with me and she has our toms and cucs.

i have just used a pile of roasted toms in a bolognaise, i stirred, he chopped.

i made a passion fruit cheesecake the other day and ended up with a load of seeds so have raked them into one of my tommy plants 2 c if they germinate, apparently up 2 4 weeks.... time will tell....

i have 8 brussel sprout plants, the slugs got 2 of them, mite b ready 4 crimbo...

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:15 pm

i'm hoping that large white caterpillar season may be over, just about.
one kale plant, that i'd accidentally harvested the whole growing top rather than just leaves and then rooted in water has some new and uneaten leaves on it and the cavalo nero, totally stripped, has only one caterpillar that i can see. they will be given the same treatment as the accidental kale rejuvenation to see how well they'll come back and produce overwinter.

Postby scullion » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:30 pm

i have cleared and planted up a couple of raised beds. one with the leeks that were produced from bulbules on the flower head last year - they are straw sized so they will do what they will do - hopefully giving us something. the other has been planted up with the baby chard plants which self seeded in the bed the leeks were going in. I've also shaken some more chard seeds and giant parsley seeds into the edge of one of the beds.
the top foot has been snapped from the cavolo nero plants and put in a bucket to root. they are beginning to show some growth after the attack of the caterpillars so hopefully we'll get some over winter.

this website is rather good. you can put in your location for finding when your last frosts usually are and there's a customised planing and rotation calendar, too.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:48 am

I planted a few leeks in pots a while back. They aren't doing much. An experiment. No room to put them in the ground. I have two 1.2m square raised beds. One is full of rhubarb. I intend to get rid of a lot of that, and put two lots in huge pots. I have a segment of decommissioned beehive composter that would make a good mini raised bed for one, but not sure where to put it. The 'nowhere in the ground issue' applies to locating a new raised bed. There is a spot where a hazel we cut to the ground is growing. If we could get it right out, would semi-shade do? Probably more shade than sun though...

The number two raised bed has beans (that I need to decommission. Some still flowering but most have had it.) and then it needs rebuilding as the walls have collapsed making it a punt 7 inches high.

I'd like to move both beds to where the water irises are, but this the area prone to flooding. IN that spot, I'd say about 5 inches of water at worst, that lasts for a few days and happens once or twice.

Still need to get rid of one tom on the balcony but feel inclined to leave for a bit. Dunno. Will decide at the weekend.

T&M have another £1 seed sale. It's tempting... but I'd only be buying things I fancy rather than need or even very likely to get round to growing. I don't think I can grow so much from seed next year. Or can I... oh for a greenhouse (to be located where raised beds are currently... Husband actually agrees to this, but then no raised beds... unless we sort out the flooding.) That's a lot of work to accommodate £1 seeds :)
https://www.thompson-morgan.com/seed-of ... und-110920
Goodness I am going on too much this morning.

Thanks for the link, Scully. I think I have come across if before while looking for specific advice. I shall have a good look at it. The personalized growing calendar looks jolly useful. I have a paper one from Grow YOur Own magazine but this is more user friendly. Can't find the frost info though... I am sure I have before.

Postby scullion » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:57 am

the rhubarb will be fine in the shade. a neighbour had a big bed of it, in full shade, that produced masses of long fat stalks every year.
i have two 'tree' pots of rhubarb that i think would prefer to be planted in the ground. it's reluctant to produce enough for one meal let alone two.

Previous

Return to Other Stuff