Register

Beverages

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Beverages

Postby herbidacious » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:55 pm

I might give it a go. The garden can currently supply three of the ingredients.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 am

Gillthepainter wrote:What's Virol please?

That takes me back to my childhood! I loved Virol and mum sometimes bought it instead of cod liver oil and malt. Virol was malt extract with orange in it. I can't remember the other ingredients.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:27 am

I found some information about Virol:

https://stmargarets.london/archives/201 ... e%E2%80%9D.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:53 am

The Guardian has been doing a cocktails feature for ages now. I thought this looked nice until I saw the strawberry Ribena.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... rry-ribena

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:29 pm

Campari definitely, but not with Strawberry Ribena, PP! Why ruin a lovely drink?

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:57 pm

Does anyone round here like a tall glass of iced coffee in the summer heat?

This is a really great and simple method. Been doing it like this recently and it is a real revelation, most surprising of which is the flavour which comes out exactly as the full aroma of the freshly ground coffee used. We usually drink Italian espresso roast for everyday hot coffee but have been using a dark but non espresso roast for this as the flavours are so pronounced that the espresso tastes a tad burnt and less flavoursome.

I like to serve it in tall 15-16cm/6" glasses with extra ice cubes up to the top. The basic amount in the recipe fills each glass to about half to two thirds. OH likes it sweetened which tastes amazing, and I go for plain which is still great but better for you :D . It would probably also be fantastic for recipes that use cold coffee or espresso.

Japanese-style iced coffee is simply coffee that is brewed hot directly onto ice, which chills it rapidly.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/202 ... offee.html

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:37 am

I tend to avoid iced coffee as it tends to come with milk or cream mixed in

That’s well worth a try, thank ZeroCook

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Thanks for the lovely idea Zero Cook! Just right for this very hot weather.

Postby Pampy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 pm

When I lived in Italy, iced coffee was very popular - just sweetened espresso, chilled until very cold.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:06 pm

Well, I've made ZeroCook's Japanese iced coffee twice now, using the Aeropress which is a convenient way to make one cup of strong coffee

Making the coffee onto ice definitely makes a difference, in much the same way I suppose as cooling eggs or green beans in iced water stops them cooking and so you get them just as you want them - the flavour of coffee does change if it sits around, even once taken off the grounds

Postby halfateabag » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:52 pm

'He' is hooked on coffee frappe ATM and bought a frappitizer in Greece recently as a Birthday gift. Unsurprisingly it is starting to fail, most things like that bought in a supermarket are a bit rubbish. But the idea of a frothy iced coffee is his forte. He makes a lot of noise at the bottom of the glass though......

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:13 am

Have to admit that cold coffee - and it doesn´t matter what fancy name you give it - or "iced" tea, both give me the willies. I´ve never liked either of them. On the other end of the scale, it´s bit like drinking a steaming hot pint of bitter. My kids love iced tea, however; can´t get enough of it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:32 am

The coffee sounds as if it could do with a drop of rum or something in it ;). I dislike iced tea too, especially the branded off the shelf ones which taste of synthetic fruit and tannin.

I'm thinking of making lemonade with GD tomorrow. I remember my mother always saying it was a faff but I don't see why. I can't remember when I last made any. I think I favour the method where the lemon juice is added to a cooled sugar syrup rather than being boiled together as there is a chance of some vitamin C remaining. The lemon base can then be served with plain or sparkling water too.

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am

my daughter made iced coffee, with the bit left in the chemex type of pot, at the weekend. on trying it i think i would have preferred it with a tiny bit of sugar.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:00 pm

Earthmaiden wrote: I dislike iced tea too, especially the branded off the shelf ones which taste of synthetic fruit and tannin.

I wonder if you'd like my recently discovered tipple, EM? Iced Earl Grey (decaff) tea with a dash of elderflower and topped up with fizzy or still water? I mentioned it on another thread and someone who said they didn't like iced tea (Herbi maybe?? not sure) thought it sounded promising!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:39 pm

That does sound quite nice KC2! It's when you get the underlying tannin that I'm not keen.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:43 pm

I don't know why but even in sweltering heat I'd rather have a good hot cup of tea - iced tea/coffee is so :vomit

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:10 pm

In winter I envy people who slurp down tea by the bucket - warming and hydrating

Even I can’t manage that many strong hot black coffees in a day, much as I love the stuff

But I don’t like tea, don’t even like the smell Every so often I find one I think I might cope with, but the feeling doesn’t last

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:44 pm

I do like my tea - has to be properly made tho' - not fond of teabags but use them out of convenience in a hurry. The thing with tea is it's absolutely at it's best when made with soft water - you've got a huge headstart there then, doesn't do so well with hard water which I struggle with here....heyho!

I know what you mean about the smell of certain things tho' - I love a good coffee & still do but the smell for me now is off-putting ever since The Lushly used to make his early morning cafetiere-full sooooo strong..............

Postby Lokelani » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:26 pm

I love the idea of iced coffee today. I haven't made it for years & I think I used to use Camp Syrup in it possibly, but can't remember much about what else.

Not a tea drinker, it dries my mouth. I've tried so many times to like it because of the antioxidants etc. but I just don't. Strange tannins in red wine have no such ill effect on me! :lol:

Sipping a glass of very cold white wine currently, as in need of cheering up. Ned, an NZ one that Ocado had on a good offer. Nice but not noticing any of the fruit flavours I get from some NZ whites.

I also like G&T in hot weather. Tarquins has been a favourite for the last few years, the blackberry or rhubarb & raspberry. They're not as sweet as some fruity gins.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff