Register

Beverages

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Beverages

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:30 pm

I might have mentioned before, here or in another place, the time I found Macallan RTC in Sainsbury's, half price because some special water jug offer had expired. I only bought 3...

Cardhu is a perfectly good malt. Cheers! :wino

Re: Red Wine

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:38 pm

after my partner insisting that he only liked red wine i made him do a blindfolded tasting between a red and a white. he got it wrong.

Postby Hickybank » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm

scullion wrote:after my partner insisting that he only liked red wine i made him do a blindfolded tasting between a red and a white. he got it wrong.

Yep, seen experts get it wrong as well, same as holding the nose.

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:33 pm

scullion, is your better half thinking more of tummy than taste? Some on here say they can drink white but don't cope well with red. I'm the opposite, unless a creamy white with little acidity.

I bought six Jam Shed shiraz bottles, yay thanks again, matchsticks in eyelids last night. The max allowed online was 10 for me. In tasting notes, as they say, it's a fruity rather than oaky or tannin flavour (to me) and does need to breathe a minute or two.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:46 pm

scullion wrote:after my partner insisting that he only liked red wine i made him do a blindfolded tasting between a red and a white. he got it wrong.

I recall seeing some professionals being submitted to this same test on a tv programme... plenty of those got it wrong too . ;) :lol:

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:50 pm

PatsyMfagan and Hickybank: Did experts in that taste test have a peg on the nose to exclude smell?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:57 pm

Not that I recall Jeral ... in fact I think they also did a reverse test by dying white wine red and seeing how what you think you're drinking may just be the opposite . :roll: :shock: :?

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:00 pm

between me writing this post and pressing the submit button the topic was transferred to the beverages thread - it came up with a message that said that the topic wasn't found - interesting - it doesn't carry any link with it.
anyway ...

jeral wrote:scullion, is your better half thinking more of tummy than taste?

no, it was purely a side by side, blindfolded, taste test.
he has no problem with stomach upsets.
he doesn't drink much alcohol of any sort, really, we even share a bottle of ale - a small amount will take its revenge on him for longer than it does for most people (which is why he always drives if we go out - lucky me) - i am one of the fortunates who has never had a hangover.
our young take after him in that regard - which is possibly a good thing in the long run.
maybe the thing that doesn't sit well with some people are the sulphites used in the brewing.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Ha!
Sorry for the interruption, folks - I´ve just moved hicky´s "Red Wine" post to here.

Many years ago ( about 2008, 2009) I participated in events known as " International Gourmet Symposia" here in Caracas. We´d have 4 days of talks, demos, tastings, wine producers and dozens of stands with gourmet products - that´s where I came in. My Stand was in front of the National Sommelier´s Association, which was absolutely wonderful because I got to try all the new wines coming in from Chile, Argentina, Uruguay,Spain, Italy and France.
Cut to the chase: I cook Indian food, Indonesian food, spicy food, as you probably know already, and I never knew which wine was good to pair with. Solution provided by my neighbours - Shiraz ( or Syrah, as it´s known down here). They said it was spicy, fruity, touches of leather, blah, blah ( they probably lost me after "fruity" :lol: :lol: )
Anyway, during the event, I actually visited every single wine producer to taste their Shiraz and the best I tried was from Doña Paula, from Mendoza, Argentina. Absolutely fabulous - but I don´t know whether it´s available in the UK. If it is, please try it.
I also tried an Ozzie Shiraz - but I found it overly sweet and very "heavy" on the fruity bit, so maybe, Hicky, that´s what yours was like.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 pm

between me writing this post and pressing the submit button the topic was transferred to the beverages thread - it came up with a message that said that the topic wasn't found - interesting - it doesn't carry any link with it.
anyway ...

You caught me in the act, Scully - I was moving the post when you posted!

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:50 pm

scullion, I think "capacity" is a genes thing. I take after my dad and can drink most people under the table. My sis, who takes after my mum, is done for after an eggcupful so rarely drinks if at all. No headache for me either unless it's Tia Maria or Cabernet Sauvignon, then woe betides me. Interesting that blindfolding alone or dying wine can hoodwink our taste expectations isn't it?

karadekoolaid, there's an expensive selective wine shop close by so I'll ask about Argentinian Doña Paula. This shop's wines start at c.£12, so I doubt I'll pick a bottle up for £4.50 ;)

I like a pinotage (S. African typically) with intense or spicy flavours, though that might seem like punishment to some being a high ABV.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 pm

I'm a bit like Jeral.

Parents didn't drink much, Dad enjoyed a beer with his Sunday lunch and he went for a couple of drinks on a Friday.

Mum would go for weeks without anything although in later life (70+) she would accept a small Chardonnay every time it was offered.

Bro probably gets through a bottle of wine per week.
SFH is about the same.

I really enjoy a drink and I have a pretty strong head, but I make sure to have a few lemonade days each week.

Some years ago SFH was stopped by the police.
She was driving home at 3am
It was a cold night in late Jan, she had the car windows open and music was pretty loud.
She dances salsa and she was boiling hot, hence the open windows, and wearing a sparkly dress.

Mr Plod asked all the usual questions then asked when she last had a drink.
She replied New Year's Eve, so he waved her on.

Postby Hickybank » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:23 am

Had a glass of the red shed tonight with my dinner, very good to.
I also like Apothic a Californian red at around £8 a bottle
Also very keen on Gerard Bertrand Merlot around the same price.
Back when I lived in Coventry I was chairman of a local wine club so lots of wine tasting events some blind tasting & others with all the info & price, it was interesting how different peoples palettes were.

A lot of the members were of the "My favourite wine is only £5 a bottle or lees.

I did some research & gave a talk on wine production & cost, breaking down the true cost of a £5 bottle.
after production costs ,logistics, tax & duty etc a £5 bottle of wine contained just 30p of wine.
as most of the costs remain the same, only VAT increases an £8 bottle has far more spent on the contents, so the more you pay the better the value

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:01 am

Hahaha, Jeral - it depends on the person, right?
We had a Maths teacher in the 6th form, a Yorkshireman, who used to coach cricket. So we 6th Formers would zap off to the pub after a game - and the teacher would follow us. He was a small bloke - maybe 5ft 6 - but never, ever got drunk. When we asked him what the secret was, he said. " Pee per pint, lad!" and that was it. :gonzo :gonzo
Over here, I´ve got a very good (drinking) friend who was a police Commisioner. Those blokes drink like it´s going out of fashion - but he and I used to employ something called "Alcoholic Education", when meeting with Union bosses, military types, police, etc. 1 glass of scotch - two glasses of water.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:10 am

Hicky - I love Merlot and I love Shiraz - two of my favourite wines. Over the past 20 years, I´ve been fortunate enough to get to know some of the rarer French grape varieties which were eradicated in France in the 19th century, but which had already found their way to Argentina and Chile: carmenère, torrontés and others. Some glorious flavours.
When I worked for Phillip Morris, my VP was French and he swore that French wines did not travel well across the Atlantic. He´d always choose something from the south of South America and was usually spot on.

Postby Hickybank » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:22 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Hicky - I love Merlot and I love Shiraz - two of my favourite wines. Over the past 20 years, I´ve been fortunate enough to get to know some of the rarer French grape varieties which were eradicated in France in the 19th century, but which had already found their way to Argentina and Chile: carmenère, torrontés and others. Some glorious flavours.
When I worked for Phillip Morris, my VP was French and he swore that French wines did not travel well across the Atlantic. He´d always choose something from the south of South America and was usually spot on.

Then of cause there is the king of reds "Barola" not cheap but boy what a wine. I was introduced to it by a customer when I used to cover Europe for my firm.
Shortly after this I won a juicy contract for my firm & was told go & celibate at a top restaurant,
Barola was on the wine list at £50 a bottle & this some time ago( I have been retired14 years) I thought why not, boy did I enjoy it & nothing was said when I put in my expenses, It seems to be around the £16 mark now in supermarkets

Postby Pampy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Hickybank wrote:Shortly after this I won a juicy contract for my firm & was told go & celibate at a top restaurant,

No - you don't mean that. Do you...??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:18 pm

We used to enjoy Barolo when it was around £8 so a very long time ago and in the days when the tax/duty was rather more reasonably applied. Other good wines as well, being reminded of that by the comment about wine members now being happy or satisfied with cheaper bottles.

However, since those days, many wines from around the world are now exporting to the UK, a lot of which even at a cheaper price level can stand their ground with the best of them in my opinion.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:27 pm

I’m a big fan of Argentinian Malbec.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff