Register

Beverages

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Beverages

Postby Hickybank » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Pampy wrote:
Hickybank wrote:Shortly after this I won a juicy contract for my firm & was told go & celibate at a top restaurant,

No - you don't mean that. Do you...??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG where spell check when you need it :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I could change it, but no it is too funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby halfateabag » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:09 pm

PP I'm with you on the Malbec, we also like a nice Californian Zinfandel :wino

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:47 pm

I haven't found a USA wine that I like, they all seem to have too much tannin for me.
Maybe I need to look harder ;)

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:17 pm

The last time I was in the UK I picked up some lovely Argentinian/Chilean reds in Sainsbugs. Not expensive and a really nice flavour.
The Argentinian wines from the Mendoza area are fantastic - I don´t think I´ve ever had a bad one - and they´re neither too heavy nor too sweet. Same goes for the Chilean reds in general.
The only problem for the world market is that there´s limited space down there in the bottom part of South America for vineyards, so production in general, when compared with Italy, Spain and France, is somewhat restricted.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:13 am

WWordsworth wrote:I haven't found a USA wine that I like, they all seem to have too much tannin for me.
Maybe I need to look harder ;)

I think with US wines you have to go with producer - Fetzer or Kendall Jackson almost always good, Gallo hit and miss though I like some of theirs
Don't tend to drink US wine outside of the USA though

I'm off red wine at the moment as it's one of a number of things that don't taste right, but I normally like Argentine Malbec, especially the Mendoza kka mentions

My last favourite red was the Wine SocietyCôtes-du-Rhône which is a bit of a bargain - grenache and syrah grapes

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/Pro ... pd=RH56981

I'm also a fan of Pinot noir, burgundy if I can afford it, but even the suprmarket generic pinot is great for cooking and slurping

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:58 am

The first time I visited the US was in 1983. I used to buy a bottle of wine for dinner with my hosts each evening. I became very fond of the Californian reds. However, dollars didn't seem like real money to me and I was spending over $10 a bottle, maybe equivalent to £7 at the time. In those days I might run to £2.50 at home, so was buying a rather better stamp of wine than usual.

As for Côtes-du-Rhône, I'm quite fond of Vinsobres; apart from being a silly pun to the English ear, it's also a lovely drop :wino

However I also like to support the conservation of dehesa landscape by drinking Iberian wines with cork stoppers and eating jamon iberico :D

But then again, there's Amarone, Ripasso & Chianti. Plus the wines of the Southern Cone. Life is full of difficult decisions.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:07 am

I’m glad you said ripaso
Morrison’s The Best Valpolicella Ripaso is excellent, currently £9.50 but they have been known to put it in good offers

https://groceries.morrisons.com/product ... -119709011

If I have wine open for drinking rather than for a specific meal it tends to be white so I buy quarter bottles (187 ml) of the Trivento Argentine Malbec @ 3 for £5 so I always have a large glass of red handy if I’m eating a steak or similar

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:22 am

I forgot Barolo of course. As with Amarone, it's for special occasions.

Mrs B often has a little bottle of pink or prosecco as it might be a week or two before she wants another glass.

When it comes to whites, we're both partial to the wines of Alsace.

Postby Hickybank » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 pm

Just picked up 3 bottles of Beefsteak club Malbec from the Mendoza region of Argentina, £8.50 a bottle on special 3 for the price of 2, anyone tried it?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:35 pm

The Good Lockdown Drinking Guide - in the Times but not paywalled
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the- ... d2bd5d31f9

Touches on the benefits of red wine

I’m a little sceptical of some of the data on unit consumption, but still a good article

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:03 pm

interesting that an english sparkling wine beat champagne in the internationals.

It’s official – English Sparkling wine has beaten top Champagne brands in this years’ international wine competition. Dorset wine maker, Langham Wine Estate has just won one of the most prestigious awards a winemaker can win – the International Wine & Spirit Competition Sparkling Wine Producer of the Year 2020.

well done them, maybe we'll try a bottle to celebrate the end of this 'strange time' next year.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:06 pm

That's fab news Scully. I'll definitely be getting some in. (Although I have two bottles of Moet gifted to us on Sunday).

Postby liketocook » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:50 pm

This https://www.velfreyvineyard.com/product ... rFaGz3OiE4 is a old schoolfriend's business. I'm not a fizz fan so not for me but the grapes were grown in Wales.

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Just read Stokey Sue's linked Times article, the bit about Bloody Marys. It seems to say that tomatoes need to be cooked to release the beneficial oxidant lycopene thus making it more absorbable by us.

I was curious as it sounds counter-intuitive, but is borne out by internet sites dated 2002, with 2018 studies still confirming it, reporting that the difference can be significant despite a small loss of Vit C (10%). In future I shall microwave my tinned toms before blitzing them.

The same is said about carrots and asparagus, i.e. cooking them releases their respective beneficial components.
---

A touch of disappointing news: No Jam Shed shiraz available for my delivery later today so they're sending just three bottles of "description unavailable" with bottle discount but not the case discount. The suspense is killing me :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Yes, lycopene is far more available in cooked tomatoes than in raw, someone knowledgeable once said you should eat half your tomatoes and carrots cooked and half raw for maximum oomph

Ketchup is a good source of lycopene

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:02 pm

In future I shall microwave my tinned toms before blitzing them.

Won't they already have been cooked by the canning process?

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:05 pm

On the subject of English wines I've just bought a couple of bottles of Forty Hall white to try, two different varieties.

Postby Pampy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:27 pm

I've tried Nyetimber, which apparently has won awards. Quite liked the one I had.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:
In future I shall microwave my tinned toms before blitzing them.

Won't they already have been cooked by the canning process?

Didn’t make the connection - yes tinned toms are quite sufficiently cooked already

Pampy wrote:I've tried Nyetimber, which apparently has won awards. Quite liked the one I had.

I took a bottle of Nyetimber when I visited Ian in France. Caused a sensation - lovely stuff

Postby Busybee » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:16 pm

Absolutely love Nyetimber, it was recommended to me by a Master of Wine who happens to be the son of a fellow WI member.

He came and did a wine pairing session about how different foods alter the taste of wines. In involved trying the wine, eating the food and then tasting the wine again - some of the changes in taste were very marked indeed.

My favourite wine is a Rag and Bone reisling although haven’t been able to source it for some time now. I enjoy most dry reisling, especially Australian or New Zealand.

BB

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff