Register

Beverages

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Beverages

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:43 pm

The dramatic increase in different "expressions" of single malt tends to leave me confused and befuddled, because (a) I can only generally obtain single malt when I´m travelling, once or twice a year (b) there are only two or three brands available here in Caracas: Glenfiddich, Balvennie and Glenlivet (c)I´d much prefer to buy a totally different brand of whisky than a variation on a theme and (d) I´m not a millionaire :lol:
Going back to Islay, my personal categorisation would probably be (from smokiest to least smoky):
Ardbeg
Laphroiag
Lagavullin
Caol Ila
Bowmore
Bruichladdich
Bunnahaiban
And I´d probably slip in Isle of Jura between Bowmore & Bruichladdich. Lovely drop of whisky!

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:55 pm

These days there can be several different offerings from each distillery, for example there were seven different expressions available at Jura. I've always felt that Laphroaig was less smoky and more TCP than Ardbeg or Lagavulin. Ask ten people and you'd get ten different answers I guess. Bowmore do several degrees of smokiness these days. I agree that 'the Laddie' is less smoky than most. Many years ago I got in a round of Bunnahabhain at the end of a very long evening on the occasion of friends' wedding in Glasgow. It's a challenge to pronounce at the best of times...

I remember we once sheltered from the lashing rain at the Harris Hotel, they had a wonderful wall of malts, with independent bottlings of lost distilleries, including Port Ellen iirc.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:25 pm

I went to a tasting of the Balvenie range - was interesting, they were one of the first to name the previous lives of their casks, so you get malt matured in sherry or madeira casks, and it makes a notable difference

I see they are now doing a more obviously peaty one, which isn't something I'd associate with Speyside normally

I took a bottle of Glenmorangie to France which had a card with it telling the story of the Men of Tain - until then the French cousins knew they liked malt whisky but hadn't appreciated that it was a properly "artisanal" product, not made on a Henry Ford style production line

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:21 am

I remember when Glemorangie brought out their different finishes; sherry, madeira & port, all different.

I'm very fond of whisky matured in Pedro Ximenez casks :wino

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:21 am

Red Wine

Postby Hickybank » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:44 pm

I am a Red wine drinker, recently I came across an Australian Red called Jam Shed.it is rich & plummy, with a hint of sweetness but not overpowering. Full bodied at 13.5 %
First came across it at Morrisons @ £7.25.
However now discovered it at ASDA for £6, better still ASDA are currently buy 6 get 25% off making it just £4.50 a bottle, I now have a dozen bottles ready for Christmas.
Just thought I would give you the heads up

Re: Red Wine

Postby Amyw » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:56 pm

There’s a beverages thread on the other stuff board , you might get a few more responses

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 pm

I have tried it Hicky.
Need to be careful what you put it with, I found it very heavy.
But definitely not unpleasant.

Postby Hickybank » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 pm

Amyw wrote:There’s a beverages thread on the other stuff board , you might get a few more responses

Thanks Amy, forgot about that.

Postby Suelle » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:19 pm

It sounds delicious, and ASDA's price makes it a bargain!

I prefer red wine but my body doesn't tolerate it. I can only drink the occasional glass - not even one a day - whereas my constitution accepts any amount of white wine!

Living on my own makes it almost pointless buying red wine as a bottle would be open for a couple of weeks before I could drink it all.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Hickybank » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:24 pm

I am a Red wine drinker, recently I came across an Australian Red called Jam Shed.it is rich & plummy, with a hint of sweetness but not overpowering. Full bodied at 13.5 %
However now discovered it at ASDA for £6, better still ASDA are currently buy 6 get 25% off making it just £4.50 a bottle, I now have a dozen bottles ready for Christmas.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:31 pm

Suelle, that's a shame! Surely it would be worth using a Vacumate on the occasions you treat yourself to some red :D one small glass a week for 6 weeks and the rest in a stew :lol: But glad you can enjoy white at least :thumbsup

I love wine but sadly find my reaction can be so unpredictable that I hardly ever have any, and then usually no more than a quarter of a glass - just to remind myself how good it tastes :(

Postby Hickybank » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:33 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:The dramatic increase in different "expressions" of single malt tends to leave me confused and befuddled, because (a) I can only generally obtain single malt when I´m travelling, once or twice a year (b) there are only two or three brands available here in Caracas: Glenfiddich, Balvennie and Glenlivet (c)I´d much prefer to buy a totally different brand of whisky than a variation on a theme and (d) I´m not a millionaire :lol:
Going back to Islay, my personal categorisation would probably be (from smokiest to least smoky):
Ardbeg
Laphroiag
Lagavullin
Caol Ila
Bowmore
Bruichladdich
Bunnahaiban
And I´d probably slip in Isle of Jura between Bowmore & Bruichladdich. Lovely drop of whisky!

I like a good single malt & have visited the Lagavullin distillery, also high up my list would be the Macallan, I bought an 18year old that was bottled the year we got married 1967, saved it until our 25th then shared it with friends & family, be would a small fortune now,
I did pick up a bottle of Cardu for \Christmas on special £26 instead of £42, never tried it before, how about you?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 pm

I don’t usually have a preference, red or white, it would be to me like picking one of your children over the other (if I had any)

Or possibly just indiscriminate :D

However, at the moment my sense of taste is all wrong, and I can’t drink red at all. Cider is ok, so that’s what I’m having with Saturday supper

Postby Rainbow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:48 am

Hickybank wrote:I am a Red wine drinker, recently I came across an Australian Red called Jam Shed.it is rich & plummy, with a hint of sweetness but not overpowering. Full bodied at 13.5 %

https://winetitles.com.au/uk-favourite- ... varietals/

Is that the one, Hicky? Just re-launching in Australia after great success in the UK!!
Is it the Shiraz or the Red Blend you came across?

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:54 am

How about all you non-red wine drinkers buying a case each and sending them to Hickybank and myself? I'm rather partial to Jam Shed shiraz* so if I can take advantage of the offer I will :)

(*) Rainbow, the Asda site is the shiraz.

Thanks for the heads up.

Postby Hickybank » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:08 am

jeral wrote:How about all you non-red wine drinkers buying a case each and sending them to Hickybank and myself? I'm rather partial to Jam Shed shiraz* so if I can take advantage of the offer I will :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes Shiraz it is,& an exelent suggestion you have made, \I'll drink to that :wino :wino

Postby Hickybank » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:10 am

jeral wrote:How about all you non-red wine drinkers buying a case each and sending them to Hickybank and myself? I'm rather partial to Jam Shed shiraz* so if I can take advantage of the offer I will :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes Rainbow that's the one, I bought a dozen bottles.

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:30 am

Right back at you :mrgreen: :wino :wino

Postby Rainbow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:50 am

:wino :wino

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff